Online Tracking Software

How many of you out there use on-line (web based) advancement tracking tools like ScoutTrack.Com?

What do you see the advantages/disadvantages of them being?

Do you have any general concerns or praise for these types of systems?

Would you be more willing to invest in a long time tested product like TroopMaster or a newer product like ScoutTrack.Com?

Thanks,

Phillip

Hello,

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth...

If you have a large unit, software (or a web based service) can be a real time saver when it comes to advancement tracking, recharter,

& paperwork.

I would think that a web based tracking tool like "ScoutTrack.com" has it's advantage in being on the web and available to all who need access to it. A down side is that it is not portable, you need a web connection to use it.

We use TroopMaster software which is about twice the cost of 12 months service from ScoutTrack. For a little more, you can get the add-on feature "DotNet" for Troopmaster. DotNet allows the data file to be stored on an ftp site so anyone who needs access can get to it on the Web. We use this feature so Scoutmasters can enter data as well as Fundraiser and Advancement Chair. Also, the program can be loaded on a laptop for use at meetings or outings. Afterwards, the data on the ftp site is updated and available to all who have access to it.

I like the portability of the stand-alone programs, but if your unit doesn't have the cash to purchase the more expensive program, the web based service might be a good start.

ASM59

We are using ScoutTrack, it's very handy. As a parent and tiger den leader, I find it very resrouceful.

I can:

Review the basic requirements for the rank, electives, academics/sports

Enter my Son's advancement, by step

Review the progress of other boys in the den

Send email to Individuals, Den, Pack, or Leaders

Review the Pack calendar.

Schedule meeting reminders, with notes

Record meeting attendance

It's my first time using it, it's very simple and quick. No fluff.

Yours in scouting,

JM in ATX

this is only from my personal experience about using Troopmaster.

for years we used the old "advancement wall charts" . then, one of our adult leaders went to a training session ( i believe it was the University of Scouting) on how to use Troopmaster.

to make a long story short, the first year we used it effectively we saw our advancement increase by 200%. we use "instant recognition" in our advancement program, and this tool was an incredible resource. our Advancement Chair prints out weekly Advancement Progress Reports, which is a great tool for the SPL to use in our following meeting. being part of a large unit, he can specifically target advancement requirements on a weekly basis for scouts working toward the rank of First Class.

Troopmaster does have some limitations, as well as problems. on the other hand, i (we) have had tremendous response from TM support team (the owner), who personally walks us thru any difficulties we have over the years.

my advice to a new Troop: before buying your first tent, buy Troopmaster.

while it is only my opinion, i cannot speak highly enough of the this software & its effect on our Program.

eSM

You speak very fondly of TroopMaster.

My question is to you, if you found an on-line tracking system like ScoutTrack.Com to support the same general features of TroopMaster, but allow EVERY member of the unit to log in and view his/her details with your unit...

Would you find a product like this more beneficial than TroopMaster?

Thanks.

Phillip

Phillip,

In answer to your last question "Would you find a product like this more beneficial than TroopMaster?":

I don't think the web-based services are portable. So, you can't use them at a meeting or outing. I find the portability of TroopMaster very handy. Attendance and advancement can be updated at meetings and outings on the spot.

To your point that everyone has access over the web...

With the "DotNet" add-on for TroopMaster, anyone within the Troop (Scouts, Parents, Committee, Scoutmasters ... ) can run the program and if they have a web connection they can view advancement details. Only those with the correct password can make additions or changes to the data.

One downfall with this in TroopMaster is that you are not limited to looking at your own information (hopefully this will change in the future). Because of this we have decided to limit distribution of the program and access to the data to the Committee and Scoutmasters. Monthly, our Advancement Chairperson or Scoutmaster can e-mail advancement progress reports to each Scout or parent from within the TroopMaster program. Those without e-mail get a printout at the next meeting.

Overall, I would agree with eagleSM's enthusiasm for TroopMaster.

ASM59

Phillip,

to answer your question, no, i would not find giving EVERYONE access to Advancement Reports via the 'Net beneficial.

thats what we have a Troop Advancement Chair & their assistant(s) for .

all of this information is documented at every Troop Meeting (or Outing) by these folks (via our Troop Computer(s)). part of getting these adults to "buy into" our program is their outstanding results by using/and being responsible for this data. this is a great way for parent(s) with limited outdoor skills (or maybe even those with) to contribute significantly to the program & success of their sons- by data entry, something that many adults are professionally familiar with.

access to our software data is restricted to the adult leaders in charge (A. Chair & Ast., Scoutmaster)

each Patrol is provided with a Patrol Book (hard paper documentation), with individual Scout History. if a Star Scout signs off a TFoot for an Advancement requirement, his wet-signature name & date being noted on the margins. this supports the boy-teaching-boy program , with the accountability of his name, not just a simple unknown data entry.

the adults do data entry & documentation.

of course, Troopmaster (or other such programs) arent cheap. but neither are tents, chuck boxes, dutch ovens, silver bulletts, etc..

but it is a resource that allows Scouts to set goals that can be easily documented & tracked (by both boys and adults) for their success .

i would also agree with ASM59 that the portability of TM is another great asset to our advancement program.

eSM

BTW, i am not an empolyee of TM :)

My pack has used ScoutTrack for 2 years now. We recommend it because: parents can enter progress themselves (especially useful for Tiger, Wolves & Bears); issues of compatable computers don't exist; ease of use; and low annual cost.

Well, I have to tell you...

I had never heard of ScoutTrack.com before I read the original post. The discussions prompted me to look at it.

Being a den leader and cubmaster, I deal with many tracking issues, including achievements for my den and personal information for the boys/parents. We have used PackMaster since I started with the pack. Updates were handled by myself, our committee chair (addresses), and our advancement chair. We ran into tremendous problems keeping our databases in sync.

I had looked at PackMaster's feature for sharing information via an FTP web site, but nobody in our pack knew how to do that. Even if I had figured out how to do it, how would we keep that ongoing after I left the pack next year?

Anyway, I was impressed with ScoutTrack. Last Thursday I purchased a one year license and by Friday night had imported all the information and created a calendar for my pack and my den. Pretty cool. It is pretty straight forward. Now we just have to collect e-mail addresses - most parents have e-mail, its just that I don't have them yet.

Thanks for the comments, I think this will be a good thing for our pack. Your mileage though may vary.

Ken

P.S. I'm sure the rules on this forum discourage promotion of specific products. From my prespective the big deal is the product TYPE - using a shared database via the internet. Are there any other similar products out there?

• 1 month later...

As we started a new Pack this past April, I looked at 4 different scout record systems and went with ScoutTrack.com even before our first Pack purchase. We have LOVED it. The three main issues it solves for us: 1. avoiding the bottleneck of only one or two people updating the records 2. maintaining multiple synchronized databases and 3. creating ownership by Pack families. (Families often enter their boys achievements themselves beca(This message has been edited by KonaScout)

(cont') because they know the awards will get ordered more quickly). We also avoided compatability problems with our Macintosh and Linox families. Regarding portability, we first just used a notebook computer at den meetings with the relevant web page previously opened (attendance/dues or wolf advancement) for that den. The records could be updated on the offline webpage, and then updated when one was back online; but now our charter organization has installed a wireless network in their office which reaches our meeting room and we can access the internet. It has also given us great Pack family email communication and the various output forms are great. Highly recommended!

I have no connection with this product and don't wish to just hype something. I'm sure the other software solutions are very servicable products. We have a couple families that have difficulty signing their boy's books and have never logged on. But we plan to stay with it.(This message has been edited by KonaScout)

I apologize for the multiple posts in this thread, but the message board rarely seems to want to accept more than 5 lines of text per submission from me, even after editing and resubmitting. I've no doubt that Ive overlooked something I should be doing.(This message has been edited by KonaScout)