Lessons Learned from COVID-19 Induced Cancellations

I hope everyone is having (had) a good Labor Day Holiday. 

In Montana, the requirements for large gatherings was so much that my district had to cancel spring and fall camporees for scouts and summer day camp for cub scouts. But my unit has been able to do activities like camping, hiking, and service projects, because we are under the 50 person threshold. Normal summer camp was cancelled in WY, but we were able to switch to a camp in Montana later in the summer. 

With Fall Camporee canceled, scouts in my troop decided on an alternative campout, but that is in jeopardy, because we cannot get adults to help with two-deep leadership on such short notice for a campout that is two hours drive out of town. 

It certainly has been hard to work around such last minute changes to the program and parents of scouts sometimes cannot work these changes in the scouts schedules. On the positive side, this is teaching myself and my scouts the value of long term planning. Getting campouts scheduled over a year in advance and maybe have alternatives identified in event district events are canceled next year too. 

What have you learned from this year?