there is an O/A Ordeal coming up soon and several of the Scouts in our Troop are going. I have gotten calls from several parents saying they heard there was a certain amount of hazing involved. I have tried to assure them that there is no such thing and hazing would not be tolerated. They site the quote by one of the older O/A members who said "you're going to it when I see you at Ordeal."

What to do, if anything. BTW I'm going along to help with the projects.

I would contact the individual responsible for the comments and remind him that his threats to the candidates are contrary to the policies of the OA and are not in keeping with the spirit of the OA. Ask for his assurance that he will stop making such threats, or you will have to notify the Lodge Chief and the adult OA advisor of his behavior.

Most adults who are aware of the Ordeal and the ideals of the OA readily admit that no hazing exists. But in the eyes of the youth, hazing, like beauty, is sometimes in the eye of the beholder.

We just had four youth finish their Ordeal weekend. They experienced typical Ordeal weekend "stuff." I won't get into details but there is a reason they call it an Ordeal. One of the boys really came away from it with the wrong understanding of what the Ordeal represents. He viewed it as just a very bad comping outing and the "things" that go on as hazing. Forget that all of his clan, along with his Elangomat (sp?) experienced the same things, in his eyes it was hazing.

The older OA member referenced in the earlier post may just be stating what he feels is true, not trying to scare or embellish. I don't know. For me, to really understand your Ordeal, seek to seal your membership status in the OA with brotherhood.

Without going into details...we can save that for the safeguarded threads. Unfortunately, scouts of the younger variety may consider any weekend that deprives them of their X-box and junk food as "hazing". Too many parents are quick to agree. I didn't really understand the symbolism of the various elements of the Ordeal until many years later. Sometimes I think we are too quick to encourage OA membership to those who are still too emotionally immature to understand it.

Cheffy;

At a properly run OA Ordeal weekend, there is no hazing. Although OA is youth-run, there are adult advisors present, and all Guide to Safe Scouting BSA policies apply. Plus, there will almost certainly be adult candidates going their Ordeal at the same time, in the same place. These adults are also volunteer leaders, and probably parents, too -- very unlikely they'd tolerate or condone hazing.

Remember, these parents have a trump card if they're genuinely concerned. All Scouting activities are open to observation/visits by parents at any time. All it should take is a call to the Lodge Advisor beforehand, and I'm sure they could work something out that would satisfy their concerns and at the same time not detract from the experience for their sons.

KS