My Eagle project wiped out

My project lasted ~ 32 years. It was wiped out by the flooding a few weeks ago in Burlington County NJ.

We built a little city park in Medford Lakes. It was a tangled mass of briars with the run off of the lake above it running through it. I passed it every day on my way to school. When I wandered in there, I found a stone bench. Research in the town archive told me that it was a park in the 20's, when the town was just a retreat for "rich" people to go and relax in the Pine Barrens. We restored it to all its former splender and the city maintained it after that.

I learned that when the earthen dams started breaking, the one above my project finally let go as well, cascading tons of water thru my park.

I'm sure they will rebuild it, maybe an Eagle candidate will run the show...

Oh well, thanks for letting me reflect a bit.

Can't help thinking what a great project for a future Eagle Scout. If the dam is ever rebuilt.I am sorry for your loss.

Last time I was home in London, the city park where I spent so many happy hours had changed. There are no kids in the area any more, due to the high cost of housing. So the swings were gone as was the paddling pool and giant slide.

When I was a kid there was a group of us and this was our hang out. The park had a park keeper, who gave us heck for swinging to high or riding our bikes in the park or playing soccer on the cricket green.

Oh to be a kid again...

Eamonn.

32 years! Wow. I'm saddened that your project was wiped out. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that your project has outlived many other Eagle projects. Maybe this was the "Great Scout's" way of saying, "job well done, now lets clear the table for another Eagle project." I'm willing to bet you see your park back up to it's former glory some day.

Time marches on whether we're ready for it or not. Glad to hear your Eagle Project lasted for 32 years. Not sure how long mine lasted. I know it was there for five years, but never returned to the site after that. Heck, I've barely spent more than 20 nights in the town in the 20 some years since then.

Unc.

We didn't have Eagle Projects when I was a Scout. We had Good Turn Projects as part of our advancement. I have always liked the change. It is positive and brings recognition to our Slogan. It gives credence to the work and elevates it to a level of worth. Many outside of Scouting are aware that Scouts really are helpful because of that change.

FB