STEM Nova Awards for Cub Scouts

Been researching more into this, and it seems to me that, with a mentor that's available, a Scout (or a Den) would be able to include this into their program with no problem.  Of course, it would need the Scout to participate on their own time.  This would need the assistance of the right, and available, mentor.

May I suggest speaking with schools.  For example, a Middle School Science teacher would be ideal.

22 minutes ago, WolfDenRulz said:

Been researching more into this, and it seems to me that, with a mentor that's available, a Scout (or a Den) would be able to include this into their program with no problem.  Of course, it would need the Scout to participate on their own time.  This would need the assistance of the right, and available, mentor.

May I suggest speaking with schools.  For example, a Middle School Science teacher would be ideal.

Yep.  A middle school science teacher would make a great Nova counselor.

At the Cub level, the goal is really to get the kids exposed to science topics and even a parent with no specific education or experience can make a good Nova counselor. (At the Supernova level, education or expertise in a STEM field is expected).

A den leader can easily incorporate Nova into the regular program, and it's at the cub level that Nova has been most embraced.

Several years ago, when Nova first rolled out, the pack my son was in had several scouters who were gung ho about the possibilities it offered. Our pack committee chair was a homeschooling mom who loved doing field trips, so she arranged a great 1-day event. The boys watched a 1-hour video about the plight of wolves then everyone jumped in our cars to go to a wolf sanctuary not far from the city. Under the careful watch of sanctuary staff, the boys got to pet a wolf, make plaster casts of wolf tracks, and learn more about the wolves. They earned an activity pin, finished their "Science Everywhere" Nova completely within that one day, plus got an "Akela Award" patch --- the boys still talk about it as one of their most funnest cub scout activities.  Just one example of what any pack or den can do...