Best way to recruit Scouts?

In the past few years we've only gotten a couple of boys who weren't Cub Scouts crossing over. I think that it is the whole image thing. I know that we have a couple Scout who are won't tell their friends that they are scouts because they don't want to be labled "gay." How's that for irony?

We have scouts who are 16 and 17 years old whose friends think that they are silly and/or for going Scouting. The friends sit around all the time and complain about having nothing to do. The scouts are out having fun but they are the ones being labeled as losers.

i have noticed that most of the negative comments directed at the older Scouts come from boys who do nothing with a capital NOTH. The guys who play football,basketball, or are in the band are okay. it is funny how the scouts worry about the opinions of a bunch of do=nothings. i'm glad that i'm not 14 or 15 again.

now that i've gotten through that. the best way to recruit is still to bring a friend on a campout or a hike. when can take some guy who thinks that a soccer field is the great outdoors and get him to the top of a mountain where he can see for miles and miles, it will change him. even if he doesn't rush off to sign up, that may be the most positive outdoor experience that kid has ever had and he'll talk about it for years.

The way to get boys who are not cubs crossing over is NOt to invite them to a sscout activity, but to invite them to an adventure and let them discover that everyone else is a scout.

Hey.........(fill in the friend of your choice), some buddies and I are going .........(choose an event from the list below) want to come with?

Skiing, camping, rappelling, canoeing, rafting, caving, trap shooting, rifle range, swimming, biking, rollerblading, rocket launching.

Don't invite them to a troop meeting. Invite them on the adventure that troop meetings are supposed to prepare you for.

But before you do this remember, I don't know squat.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I think this is one most of us can agree on... nothing works as well as success. Put a good program in place and the numbers will almost take care of them selves. Start by acting like you allready have the numbers you want. Never say we can't do that because we are too small. Plan event that the members of the troop will brag about to their friends. If you have an active program the kids will find you.

See also -> http://www.pinetreeweb.com/areyou.htm