I recently was surfing the web and hit a Troop home page, from another state, with the same Unit Numerals as my Troop... Sort of struck me to wonder what is the science to Unit Numerals? How are they chosen? Does every state have a Troop 1? Seems like just a random drawing from what I have seen in my own council. Any thoughts?

I believe that each council has (perhaps had) a set of numbers that are (were) unique only within that council. I'm not sure about the new numbering system, though. Perhaps one of the pros or someone could explain in detail.

Unit numbers are made of a combination of council assigned and "common" numbers. The number you know a unit by may be just the common number or it could be the combined council/common number. For instance, years ago before the council added a prefix you may have been in Troop 50. Now days the council has an assigned set of prefix numbers that tell whether the unit is a pack, troop or crew, and what district it is in. So a council with three districts might have a prefix for the packs of District "A" of 121 and the troops of Disrtrict "A" a prefix of 122. So Troop 50 is actually on record as Troop 12250, but its common identity is Troop 50.

But lets say it is a new troop with no past identity. Wel call it Troop 16 from District "B" of the same council. It could have a 9 to show it's district affiliation, a 2 to show that it is a troop. and it would have the choice of choosing for its uniforms identity either Troop 16 or troop 9216.

Now every council doesn't use the same numbers for its Districts or its unit types. So while there can be hundreds of units across the country with the same "common number" (you can even have units in the same council) no two units in the country have the same combined counil/common number ID.

Yes, we have a troop 1 in our district.

We also have three troops with the same number as mine in our council. Just different districts. Whenever, I have lost advancement or other lost issues. I have to have council look in the other troops records. Quite a problem.

There is no national method for giving out numbers. In the three councils I have been associated have had systems in the past to give out numbers that are not really used much any more. The main way was to link the numbers to areas of the councils. The north end was 300s, the east was 400s, south 200s, west 100s and the central 0- 99. The council I am with now is the product of two councils joined together back in 1994. May numbers were duplicated. No troop had to change but the duplicated numbers in the northern council were made into 4000s, officially. Troop 36 up there became 4036 on all official paper work but on their uniforms and how they are referred to as Troop 36. We try now to not issue any duplicate numbers now. My council from my youth added the prefix numbers to units in the council it absorbed and they though have them on their uniform.

"Now every council doesn't use the same numbers for its Districts or its unit types. So while there can be hundreds of units across the country with the same "common number" (you can even have units in the same council) no two units in the country have the same combined counil/common number ID."

If every Council doesn't use the same numbering system, how can you be sure that there are no duplicate numbers. Also, where is this secret number recorded? I'd don't believe that I've ever seen any number on anything except the number on my sleeve.

NWS,

Prefix numbers, as it has been explained to me, are issued by the regional office. The finished combined number is unique to that unit and is the number used to identify that specific unit on scoutnet and other local and national records. Each council also has an ID # assigned to it. You can find the unit combined number on the unit charter and it is usaually coded on mailing labels from the council.

Talking to our council registrar today, the way that national identifies a unit is by council number and unit number and type (troop, pack, team, crew). When a council merges identical unit numbers need to be changed. In our council the ones from the old council in the north got a 4 placed in front. Also all units have 4 digits, even if they dont use them any where else.

Col. Unit

Troop 36 in Snohomish (old Evergreen Area) 606 0036

Troop 36 in Bellingham (old Mount Baker Area)606 4036

This is how they show up on recharter, scouting magazine labels etc.

In most case the unit chose to use only the 36 as they are know to every one else

Providing there are no other like-program units in the same district, you can keep your common number but your Council prefix would likely change. If however two troops (or two packs, or two crews) had the same common number one or both would need to change.