The following is quoted material

The Patrol Method

The Basic Unit

Take a look at your troop. Can you imagine what it would be like if there were no patrols? Now, take a closer look. Does your troop really have patrols? When the patrol method is missing from the program, that doesn't mean there are no patrols. The method is much more than grouping Scouts into patrols. For this method to work, those patrols must be living, breathing, entities that exist on their own. As one of my JLT Scoutmasters was fond of saying: "A troop is not divided into patrols; it's made up of patrols." That was his way of saying that the patrol comes first.

For the patrol method to function properly, the Scouts in a troop need to identify themselves first as a member of a patrol, and then as a member of a troop. A patrol is the most basic unit of Scouting. When properly functioning, the members of the patrol learn not just how to act like a Scout, but how to lead and accomplish things they never thought of before.

The old handbooks used to describe how a boy goes about joining Scouting by saying "First, find a patrol in your area." The idea was that a boy would join a patrol of Scouts whom he was already familiar with. This made it easier for the boy to get up to speed in Scouting. The patrol, you see, was his family in Scouting. When he joined it, it was his Patrol Leader who taught him everything he needed to know, and passed him on all of his tests.

Today, however, the troop has become recognized as the primary unit of Scouting. This comes from the fact that patrols are not chartered by the BSA, troops are. But remember, the troop is supposed to be made up of a group of patrols. That means the first task should be to organize patrols. Not to divide the troop into patrols, but to actually create patrols and let them form the troop.

A List Of Names

Many troops today tinker with the patrol method to such a point that it no longer resembles the original concept. Some have a policy of "reorganizing" the troop on a regular basis. If anything, this is a good illustration of a troop divided into patrols. Reforming patrols every six months or so effectively wipes out the feeling of ownership a Scout is supposed to have for his patrol.

When a patrol starts out, the Scouts who make up the patrol decide on a name, make a flag, and begin deciding what to do next. In a properly functioning patrol, the patrol name is not just a name. The flag is not just a flag. The patrol's name is its identity within the troop, and the flag is the physical symbol of that identity. If the Scouts have a feeling of ownership, they are proud of their name and their flag. But more than that, they take pride in what their patrol does, and they do their best to make their patrol the best in the troop. They'll not scoff at having patrol meetings outside troop meetings. They'll not complain about not being able to convince the PLC to plan a particular trip - they'll plan it themselves, go on the trip, and show the rest of the troop just how much fun they had.

Without that feeling of ownership, the patrol name is just a name. None of the Scouts care much about it, or their flag. There's no reason to have patrol meetings outside troop meetings because the patrol is just a group of Scouts in a troop. The real action is in the troop.

Without real patrols, the Scouts do not get real experience leading a group of Scouts. That makes it harder to train youth leaders who suddenly find themselves with real responsibilities. Without real patrols, Patrol Leaders have no incentive to represent their patrols and make decisions based on their own personal likes and dislikes. So, take a look around and make sure the patrol method is not missing in your troop.

Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 Anthony J. Mako; Design by Digital Arts Design, Ltd.

Last Updated: Friday, January 31, 2003 at 21:08:55 [200301.31.21.08.55]

While I agree with the fact that that was qoted material I would have been more impressed had you quoted from the BSA resources since it is their program and not Anthony's.

Although much of what he said is part of the Scoutmaster Handbook, Scout Handbook and Scoutmaster training materials, he has inserted some personal opinion that is not consistent with today's scouting.

Eagle54,

having reread your original post and this last one I have to ask you...What's your point?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Groups that work are formed around common interests.

How do we take kids from different schools. different

cub packs, and out this comes patrols who function as a group.

Faith ndividuals - - will function as agroup.

Patrol Leaders who remind their patrol members - what time to be ready to leave for outings; sell the campouts, summer camp. etc.

Bob

What part of the quoted material is "not consistent today's scouting"?

Not looking for an argument - just someone who hasn't been around Boy Scouting for a long time and tying to be prepared for when cross over time comes for our Webelos.

ronvo

The post of Anthony Mako's article quoted by eagle54 does not take into consideration the New Scout Patrols and how they integrate into experienced patrols, or the process for patrol activities. He makes it sound as if "A troop is not divided up into patrols but made of patrols was a new concept developed by his JLT leader. In fact had Anthony or Eagle54 checked the Scoutmasters Handbook they would know that Baden- Powell in his first scout leaders handbook said "the patrol method isn't one way to run a troop...it is the ONLY way to run a troop." As well as "troops are not divided into patrol, Patrols gather to form a troop".

These concepts have been a core of scout leader training for decades and are still found in todays manuals and training programs. Mako writes in 2000 as they were a thing of the past. His article has several personal opinions that suggest that the patrol method has been forgotten or no longer stressed by the BSA and that is not the case. Granted some troops do not use it effectively or at all, but Mako makes broad generalizations such as "Today, however, the troop has become recognized as the primary unit of Scouting. This comes from the fact that patrols are not chartered by the BSA, troops are". Well patrols have never been chartered by the BSA but that hasn't stopped many troops of various tenure from implementing and stressing the patrol method. I would interested to see what data let him to determine that it was the charter method that has effected the patrol system.

Again much of what Mako wrote if fine. But all the good stuff is found in the current official resources of the BSA program. If Eagle54's intention was to print a how-to-guide, why not open the actual BSA handbooks and quote the current correct material?

But I am still having trouble understanding Eagle54's intent. It is not the typos that trouble me, I confess to more than my fair share of typos. But he needs to use full sentences.

"Patrol Leaders who remind their patrol members - what time to be ready to leave for outings; sell the campouts, summer camp. etc."

I am sorry but I have no idea what he means by that, or the conclusion he is drawing from what he posted.

I think I want to agree with him, but I'm not sure about what.

Guilty as charged. Some times all of my thoughts do not get on paper.

Quoting l981 edition of the "Official Scout-master's Handbook."

"The Patrol System is the one essential feature in which Scout training differs from that of all other organizations and where the system is properly applied. It is absolutely bound to bring success. It can not help itself!

"The formation of boys into Patrols of from six to eight and training them in separate units each under it own responsible leader is the key to a good Troop.

"The patrol is the unit of Scouting always, whether for work, for play, for discipline or for duty. - B.P. - Baden Powell.

ps did use spell check on this post.

PS I am still working on doing the things I do well and delegating those things I am not good at.

In looking at things, I like to break things down whether the motiviation is

positive -

The recognition, at the end of trail to eagle, is the presentation of Eagle Badge.

"Be Prepared" means the pack is ready to go ahead of time.

or Negative -

If you do not check your surrounding before using wood tools, serious injury can occurr.

A negative is - always preparing meals as individuals.

Safety says you have to be a swimmer before going on canoe trips.

When the cake breaks - I usually a not the chef I thought I was. I am ready to listen to others.