Meriit Badge Counseling and Youth Protection

Youth Protection - Somewhere I read that all merit badge counselars need to checked like any other adults participating in Boy Scouts.

I believe that new merit badge counselars need to submitt an application but do not have to pay the registation fee.

To me there is catch 22 it looks like the council need help in processing the paper work to get background checks but they have large turnovers and could use additional help.

Should the unit & chartered organization check references etc.; encourage scouters to get trained in youth protection?

All MB counselors must be either registered adult leaders or registered MB counselors. If you have a person willing to be a MB counselor and they aren't in either category, they must be registered as one or the other. Typically they are registered as a MB counselor. They fill out a regular app form w/a code that indicates MB counselor. There is no fee for this, although I understand that it does cost the council.

In our council, I've never heard of a MB counselor being notified that they are "approved". It's been my experience that you put the paperwork in ahead of time, and if you don't hear anything, you proceed as planned.

MB Counselors do not have to be YP trained. They do need to know the YP policy regarding not being alone with the scout. The scout also needs to know to take a buddy with him when he goes to the counselor.

As for the unit doing a background check... I don't do anything formal, but I am generally cautious about who we ask to get involved. If a boy has lined up an MB counselor I don't know, then I try to find out a little about them.

In addition to that Merit Badge Counselers are encouraged to be YP certified, although I don't think it is mandatory. But, lets say you want to teach merit badge programs at your camp, then you need YP protection, that may just be my concil however.

Scouts are usually encouraged to attend merit badge sessions with other scouts, they are usually not permitted to go to another leader or merit badge counselers house without a buddy or another leader.

Hope this helps a little,

CTBoyScout101

Most of the Counselors on our District Merit Badge List are people who are registered in units.There are of course some that are not. Everyone when they apply fills in an Adult Application and the application to be a MB Counselor. This is looked at by the District Advancement Committee, who approve or don't approve. This is reported to the District Committee and if need be discussed. The District Committee then instructs the Dean Of Merit Badges to contact the applicants with the decision. The letter that the Dean sends has details of when YP will be available and how to do it on line. It also has guide lines.

We do strongly urge everyone to register with the council and take the additional insurance that the council offers. They are also contacted again before the District Rechartering to see if they want to remain on the list. We also ensure that those who are not in a unit are given the opportunity to donate to the District FOS campaign.

Eamonn

MB counselors are not registered as unit Scouters (unless they're already unit Scouters). It's a code "47" for position. The separate MB Counselor form is important because it tells District/Council which MBs the prospective counselor wants to counsel. If they're processing the application through you or someone else in your unit, be sure to make a copy of both so you can start making referrals after they're approved and you don't have to wait until the updated MB Counselor listing comes out.

If a prospective MB counselor IS already a unit level Scouter, they still need to fill out the MB Counselor form, to get them into the MB counselor data base at District/Council.

I recommend YP and MB counselor training. There's several versions; I use one that includes unit responsibilities, Scout responsibilities, and counselor responsibilities. I also go over the requirements book, MB pamphlets, and blue card in some detail. Takes a couple hours.

KS