Txscoutdad,

The Flag Code passage is metaphorical, of course. I don't expect the Flag Code to make accurate metaphysical statements regarding the nature of the flag. The US Flag Code provides a guide for consistent flag display and promotes respectful treatment of the flag. It is not a treatise on flag ontology or some form of Scripture. Any sane person who considers the flag to be "living" is doing so metaphorically. The authors of the Flag Code, in their attempt at poetic language, were doing this.

Hops,

I admire your patriotism. You should know that I place great importance on this particular symbol. Like you do, I respect the symbol very much. I respect it and place great importance in it because of what it represents, not because it has some innate substance in itself worthy of respect. Your love of the country has fostered a great desire to venerate the flag. Just remember that the flag gains its value from the things that it flies over and otherwise represents. Not the other way around... An object may be a symbol of the greatest thing in the world, but that alone doesn't make it more than a symbol.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the mackinac Garrison flag is standard size. I believe it is longer than standard. I know we are instructed to fold it more than twice so we end up with somewhat smaller triangles. I know this makes the flag more firm and easier to carry. It's also important to note that this perticular flag is a historic representation of the flag from when it only had something like 36 stars, arranged in a grid just like ours, so the diference isn't readily noticeable.

The flag ceremony I saw that envolved cutting had the scouts cut the flag into quarters, making the blue field one quarter. This is placed on the fire last so that "the grand constellation that represents our union is never seperated" or something to that effect.

To me, burrying a flag is more disrespectful than burning it. In fact, on Mackinac Island each year we bring up some flags to retire. We send an honor guard to douse the fire and the next morning we sift the ashes to make sure no material is left from the flag. The ashes get scattered. Any remaining mateial is set afire again to turn it to ash. We also present the grommets on a neck chain to an honored person in the troop.

I've been musing a bit on the words "aloft and free". It seems to me that the horizontal carrying of large flags has only become common since 911. (I may be wrong on this...maybe I'm only recently noticing?)

Gazing upward at our flag is to me full of optimism and looking into our future together.

911 has on some levels left us all with a shared trauma. For me, I remember how blue the sky was that day. "Perfect flying weather" I said to myself when I first saw the images..."this could not have been an accident". Looking into the sky has changed some now. Gradually I'm returning to enjoying our wide skies that seem to go on forever. (When I moved back from Europe having lived there for four years, I was suddenly struck by how much bigger the sky seems here.)

Carrying the flag horizontally feels like mourning to me. It has a heaviness to it, a slower pace, and a respectful remembrance. Still, it's better for all of us to see our flag "aloft and free". Symbols *are* powerful. It's never "just" a symbol.

I deeply appreciate the carefulness and thoughfulness of this group. Thanks for listening.

Peace,

Anne in Mpls