If you do a search looking back over Troop Rules and Bylaws,you will find that there are some forum members who are very much in favor of Troop Rules and Bylaws.

Then there are those who like me feel that the Scout Oath and Scout Law cover everything that is needed to be a good Scout.

It goes without saying that each group feels that the other group is wrong.

If you look at the Mission Statement of the BSA, it states that we are about helping youth make ethical choices. This to my mind is not the same as following a whole bunch of rules that once laid down can only keep growing.

Eamonn

Eammon's absoultely right. Those pesky rules just get in the way. For example, saying that you need to have your popcorn money turned in by December 1st is covered by the Scout Law under . . .. refresh my memory, which point?

Of course, saying that all troop equipment must be logged out for use is also covered by . . . . which point was that?

Scouts need to pay for all replacement patches falls under . . . oh yeah, that's . . . please refresh my memory.

I'm sure that Eammon and Bob White will do an admirable job of shoehorning things into the Scout Law.

As you can see by the postings of the Cantankerous Overweight Gent rules can get in the way when you have a bylaw for everything. Once you start where does it end?

"No elephants to be taken into the meeting hall"

Of course if there are going to be hard and fast bylaws I suppose that there ought to be hard and fast penalties. I for one have never seen my role in Scouting as being the person who is in charge of punishment.

As for the examples that the Cantankerous Gent has offered it might be a good idea to ask the Scouts in your troop which Scout Law they think covers the example.

Eamonn

Hi Mrs. Smith, and a belated welcome to the forums!

I have noticed from some of your questions that you may be new to leadership. So many of your questions sound like those I asked only a year ago :) I wonder if you have had an opportunity to take any training, to view Fast Starts if not full training, or have the Scoutmaster or Cub Scout Leader Books? These are very helpful tools that I refer to often, and there are many policies, procedures, and how-tos listed in each. I serve in two units: one uses the books I named but decided against by-laws (the books cover what we need to know, and we pass it on--hopefully as a parent info book this fall), the other does not use the BSA materials very much but does have by-laws that it doesn't follow. Interestingly enough, having those by-laws has created confusion rather than eliminate it. It's a shame for someone clearly worked hard to create them. In any case, my point in all of this is this: if you use the BSA materials, you'll have all the info you need. The worksheets in each of the named books take you through planning out meetings, budgets, outings, etc. I get the impression you are seeking to ensure that you are well prepared for leadership, and I can assure you that if you keep asking questions, you'll have all the info you need and may find that everything is much simpler than we can all tend to make it.

I hope something in this message helps you, and yes, if you use the "search" feature here, you will find much in the way of opinions on by-laws. Happy reading :)

Yes, I'm new. I have been reading these forums for a while out of frustration with the way things are going in my boy's troop. Ive only recently gotten up the courage to ask a couple of questions. My first question "How to get rid of the SM" just about summed up my feelings. Since then, I have signed up for training (this summer), have secured the SM and Committee Member's handbooks, and have started studying. There is just SO much in both, its kind of like, pardon the parochialism and not to be irreverent, studying the Bible. The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn. It can be overwhelming. And there is very little help available from inside the troop, as the other frustrated parents are new and ignorant, like me. We received nothing in the way of New Parent Info or Orientation. No, I don't have aspirations to take over the troop. I would be happy if just resembled the BSA model. Thanks for the smile.

Mrs. Smith,

Welcome aboard! I, too, found these forums in desperation, looking for info. And it has been invaluable! With very few exceptions, we're all dedicated volunteers (and a few professionals) that are all doing our best in our own troops and have a burning desire to help other folks bring the best of scouting to the guys. Sometimes the official guidance is vague - apparently intentionally so to allow each group to tailor some of the details for their local situation. Sometimes there are simply options that your troop may decide to incorporate. The good folks on here sometimes get heated in the discussions, but you can see some of the pros and cons for the different ideas. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Bringing about change in a troop program is difficult. You're doing the right thing by getting into the books and taking the training. After you've read them a few times, the bits and pieces will fall into place and you'll be able to find the reference you're looking for. Without a knowledge of the books, things just decline into arguments about opinions. It's amazing how a quick reference to the books can bring a discussion onto the right track. Not every troop does everything by the letter of the books and as a new volunteer, it's impossible to force them to do so. But I've had luck by at least generating a discussion about why we have decided to ignore the published methods/recommendations. Sometimes they have a reason, but sometimes they didn't know what was in the book and are able to see the idea in a new light after reading it.

SM and Committee Handbooks are a great place to start. Scout Handbook also talks some about how things should run. The SPL and PL Handbooks also have a lot of info.

All the best! -mike

Good Evening Mrs. Smith and welcome to the forum.

I am among those who see value in writing at least some things down. I am not sure I would call such writings "bylaws", but there is value in providing new parents and boys with some guidelines.

For example, there is no standard for "serving actively" in a position of leadership to meet rank requirements for the higher ranks. I think that setting expectations for what "actively serve" means will help aspirant youth leaders, and the other scouts they seek to lead. Such expectations are best put in writing so there is no dispute when a boy is up for advancement.

Job descriptions for committee members is another item. While the Troop Committee Guidebook envisions very specific divisions of responsibilities, in fact you have complete latitude in how you go about this. Larger units will find it necessary to subdivide these responsibilities; e.g., spinning off Friends of Scouting into a separate responsibility apart from Treasurer.

So there is much that can and should be written down. If you want to call them bylaws, feel free to do so, but do commit some things to writing. It will make for a much better functioning organization.

I have found that the Law and Oath will work for the boys, it's the adults that need to have it spelled out for them. Things like the no smoking rule and such, helps if you can point to it in the parrents guide rather than telling them it is in a book they will never read.

Ah Eamonn, you are really taking your Bob White lessons to heart. Which point of the Scout Law covers the popcorn money deadline?

Trustworthy? No. No one has stolen any money.

Friendly? Nope, friends or enemies can turn money in.

Helpful? Mebbe but only if they know when the deadline is.

Clean? Nah.

Reverent? Only if take that tack that one should render unto Ceasar.

Courteous? See Helpful.

Brave? Only if you've spent the popcorn money on comic books and have to ask Mom to make up the difference.

FOG,

Since when did turning in your popcorn money become a "rule". It is an announcement. "Guys, we start taking orders on the 5th and will sell until the 20th. All money nees to be turned in at the 25th's troop meeting. Delivery will be the 5th of next month. Any questions? No? good, get out there and start selling!" I don't want to be with a Troop that says you will turn in all money by the 25th or the jackbooted popcorn storm troopers will hunt you down and you will be forever banished from the BSA! You might want to lighten up on the rules and just announce what needs to be done. We find most everyone willing to cooperate with the plans as announced.

I would prefere to call it Troop Guide / Handbook. There is always those who (those being adults) who must have everything written out that directly applys to the troop. I just get the COR and the CO to make policy for that CO and incorporate it into the Troop Handbook. I also gave tons of information using the Troop Committee Guide Book and other BSA publications.

(edited by Eagle Foot)