Trek Reparir Kits - Philmost & Double H

I have a backback where the end of the hip belt has lost about a foot on the end.

At this point a shoe repair shop for about $12.00 will sew on lenth of web strap to repair the hip belt.

I could sure use some suggetions on what to take on the trail to make emergency repair to busted straps on packs

sewing things back together.

How do take care of busted zippers on tents etc?

Depends on the failure. You can carry a set of various clasps (thats the slide part)in case the clasp breaks. Most often the teeth break or falloff. This is more difficult problem.

Safety pins work well but of course you can have bug or rain problems. duck tape will supplement the safey pins.

The best thing to do is remember the saying....an ounce of prevention....

clean dirty zippers, lube them frequently, inspect them periodicly!!!(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

The paperwork from Double H says to bring heavy duty needle and thread and duct tape. What else could you possbily need, you can fix anything with duct tape. ;)

The idea to bring extra buckles for a backpack does sound like a good idea.

Extra pins that hold the backpack onto the frame have come in handy during the troops forays in the past.

We usually wrap the duct tape around the frame of the backpack and then seal it with plastic. A short length of wire wrapped around the frame has come in handy also. We also wrap the para cord around the frame, found that using the frame for these things makes it easier to find and use and uses less space in the pack itstelf. Monofilament fishing line makes a great emergency repair thread.

Some of the scouts use the metal shower hooks and attach them to the zipper pulls. Makes it easier to get to the zippers and can be used in an emergency to reattach the backpack to the frame.

I like to put rubber cane endpads on the bottom of my backpack frame. Keeps the dirt out and will not slide.

yis

An extra clevis pin or two, with a split ring has been known to be useful. A Thermarest repair kit with patchs and urethane glue might be needed. Six feet of baling wire, along with the duct tape will fix almost anything.

Good ideas redfeather

I found some light nylon material with peel-off adhesive on one side at our local sporting goods store - pretty good stuff for patching things, sew it on when you get home. I like to pack an extra hip belt buckle for the group, it rides within the frame and disappears. I also have some dental floss and a couple of heavy needles stashed away for sewing big (usually critical) stuff

Keep this going folks!