Another good news story

This should help us all remember why we do what we do. These young men were prepared and they acted with confidence, compassion, and knowledge. When you set aside all the politics, this is what it is all about.

Boy Scouts aid injured woman

Thursday, April 1, 2004 4:29 PM CST

Boy Scouts Travis and Mark Martyn and Bryan Yamnitz recently aided a local woman injured in a car accident.

Boy Scouts really do save the day sometimes, a fact proven recently by two Perry County boys who aided a young women hurt in a car accident.

Travis Martyn and Bryan Yamnitz, both 12, are members of Perryville Boy Scout Troop 155. They credit their Scout training for allowing them to stay calm and provide vital assistance following the March 15 crash.

Misty Gegg, 17, received minor injuries in the accident on Highway D. She said Travis and Bryan were very brave during the ordeal. The three are neighbors.

"The accident happened about 30 - 60 seconds after I left my house," Gegg said. The car Gegg was driving traveled a distance off the road, striking a fence and a mailbox.

"I have a lot of bumps and bruises and cuts from glass in my head," Gegg said. "But I'm doing okay.

"If this would have been a life or death situation, Travis and Bryan would have saved my life. They were that prepared and that good. I'm very, very proud of them. I wouldn't have been able to get through the whole thing without their help."

Bryan was riding home from soccer practice that afternoon with his mom Nancy and sister Stephanie, 8, when they came upon a car sitting in the middle of the road.

"We asked the guy what was wrong and he said that there was a car way off the road," Bryan said. "We ran down to the car and saw Misty and then I ran to Travis's house to call 911."

Travis answered the door and Bryan told him about the accident. Travis got the phone for Bryan, and then gathered supplies with his dad Mark to take to the accident site.

"I told the sheriff's department that there was an accident, what my name was, where we were, and how badly Misty was hurt," Bryan said.

Travis said, "I gathered a blanket and some towels and went down the road with my dad. Misty was bleeding a lot and was stumbling around in the road. We got her off the road and wrapped her in the blanket and put towels on her where she was bleeding and stayed with her until the ambulance came."

Nancy directed traffic until law enforcement and the ambulance arrived and took over.

A few days later, Bryan went to visit Misty.

"I took her a get well card and checked to see how she was feeling," he said. "She told me thanks and said we were a big help. She said she thinks she would have died if we hadn't helped because she was in the road."

Nancy said she was impressed with the boys' actions that day.

"I was amazed at how calm and collected they were," she said. "They knew just what to do and how to do it. I'm glad that they were there."