Yes American Legion is a great sponsor for our troop. TOmmrow we are helping out the Ladies Auxiliary moving Ceramics to one to another. Also has a troop we are allowed to wear Legion patches below the US Flag. (Yes we can do this) I've seen other troops also doing this.

JIMMY D says

"Also has a troop we are allowed to wear Legion patches below the US Flag. (Yes we can do this) I've seen other troops also doing this"

Never heard of this or seen it in the uniform regs. Sounds like cause you see someone else doing something wrong, you might as well also.

What do you say BW & FOG should we now start wearing sponsor patches?

Posting the Legion "Boy Scout" patch was beyond my computer skills. We had made a patch with our Post number and Legion emblem which is worn on the Venturing Green uniform. When we finally get to it, we'll also have to create and have made a distinct Sea Scout patch for our ship and would also like to include the Legion on that patch also.

Copy the address below and paste it into your address bar. Our Ship is Chartered by the Legion, our sister troop is chartered by the UMC(they've been warned). I've noticed several troops wearing the Legion Boy Scout patch on their right sleeves. The problem's what?(This message has been edited by Trail Pounder)

THanx trail for the pic. Thats the patch our troop wears. Nothing wrong wearing it because the BSA and American Legion has a good relationship. I know just last year the Legion with the BSA have requirments for a knot. ALso the sam eknot (cold knot with a navyblue/back back) That is also used by rhe ELKS and a couple other organizations.

http://www.usscouts.org/awards/Legion.html

Has the pic and requirments.

The American Legion is a fine organization and may have a good relationship with BSA, but that good relationship doesn't extend to insignia design and placement on the BSA uniform without approval.

The Boy Scout uniform, insignia, and insignia placement are controlled by BSA. There is no provision for a unit, or a chartered organization to design patches and decide placement without approval from BSA.

Dunno. I'm not Bob White and I've never played him on TV but I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

It strikes me that the patch is missing something that BSA says all patches or emblems must have and that is the FDL or "BSA" or "Boy Scouts of America" on it (although none of those are on patrol emblems, den numbers or troop numbers).

Then again, I wouldn't worry too much about it. An unautorized patch isn't half as bad as authorized patches put on in a creative fashion.

When I went through SM/ASM specific training the weekend before last, there was a lively discussion between a few of those in attendance (including one of the trainers) about distinctive unit patches. Two people from different troops were wearing such unit patches. They were in the same location and of the same size as the region patches, worn on the right sleeve. It was the first I had ever heard of such a thing. It may be common here in the metro area, I don't know. Another odd thing, one of the ASMs from one troop mentioned having to earn their troop neckerchief by demonstrating certain Scout skills, and that they hadn't yet earned their troop neckerchief because there was one knot they couldn't tie. I thought that was a bit different to say the least.