Scout saves life of student on bus

Just saw dramatic video on the TODAY show. Scout Craig Hicks notices friend choking on school bus and springs into action successfully performing the Heimlich Maneuver. "I learned it in the Boy Scouts".

That's why we're here.

I think it is great that he was able to save the person. I also think it is great Scouting is teaching people the skills needed for such action, and the courage to use them.

I do however, wonder if this is the sort of above and beyond the call sort of action that deserves a medal. I would expect any Scout trained in the heimlich maneuver to help out someone that they noticed chocking. I suppose I consider that to be part of a Scouts duty. Perhaps he deserves commendation for not panicking, and for performing correctly under pressure.

I cetainly can't say what I would have done. I nearly ran into a similar situation. I was at a certain famous barbeque buffet in Owensboro KY (that President Clinton once ate at). There was a group of older people (not really old, but past middle age) sitting at a nearby table. I happen to notice something didn't seem right, the conversation pattern on that side of the room had changed. I turned around and noticed on of the old guys was choking. He was not, however, choked. He was still breathing and caughing. Therefore, there was little that could be done. I kept my eyes on the situation. By then one of the younger members of that group had gotten up and was standing by. The guy (apparently) abruptly quit choking (rather suprising the way it happened), the other guy performed the heimlich (I wondered later if it was really necessary), he caughed a couple times, and then everything was OK. Everyone went back to their dinners and everyone involved seemed to enjoy the evening. It all happened in about 90 seconds from start to finish.

I will never know if I would have been able to provide aid if the other guy had asked for someone to come help instead of performing the heimlich manuever himself. I would like to think I would have. I certainly think I should have if he had needed it and help hadn't been forthcoming from his tablemate.

"to help other people at all times"

Maybe I expect to much of everyone. Maybe I don't appreciate the difficulty of performing under pressure. Mabye I have some subconsious envy about never having had the opportunity to help someone in such a dramatic way. Maybe the guy deserves a medal. Maybe I would have frozen up and the poor old guy would have choked to death. Maybe I would have lept up, saved him, and earned a medal. Maybe the best thing to do was help the guy and go back to eating dinner and enjoying the evening as if nothing had ever happend (save for chewing a bit more carefully).

I don't know, but I just thought I would share those thoughts with you.

Hiemlich on a bus. Not the best location; I suppose it was moving too so conditions are even worse.

A teenager hugging a peer from behind even if they know it is what is needed. Acting with the doubts that Proud Eagle had at his party - is it needed or will the student cough up the obstruction? Plenty of room for doubt there.

I'm not impressed that the Scout knew what to do but taking action under those conditions is commendable. Remember most teenagers are far more self conscious than we (self assured) adults.

Well done in my book.

Medals? Wouldn't get one here but in your country it seems medals are rated differently. Deserves congratulations and some formal public recognition regardless.

There is a medal available for scouts that take action to save a life. We had a scout awarded the medal after he administered first aid and called 911 when a friend of his put his hand through a glass door and was bleeding profusely. EMT's indicated had the scout not taken immediate action the boy probably would have bled to death.

It sounds as if the scout subject to this event qualifies for this medal. It is not the same one as when a scout puts his own life in danger to save a life, but is a prestegious award. There is also a knot associated with it.

Being trained to do something and actually having the presence of mind to do it in an emergency situation are two different things. I highly commend this scout for keeping his cool, recognizing the problem and taking steps to save a life. I'm thrilled such scouts exist and hope he gets the medal he deserves.

I still love FOG's line about why we don't hear about soccer players saving lives. Wonder how many super jocks were on the bus that had no clue as to what to do?

SA

As it turns out, Heimlich maneuver is not considered to be a "medal deserving" action. We had a cub in our den three years ago used the Heimlich maneuver (that he learned a week before for his Readyman activity pin) to save is 5 years old sister from choking on a large piece of chicken. I asked if our District can award him with something ... anything! I was told that Heimlich maneuver is not considered to be a "medal deserving" action. We ended up giving a Pack's Heroic Award. For a 9-year old boy who unconscientiously spring to action like that and gets a well-deserved recognition from BSA, it would have made a great memory for him. I know that his parents were very proud. They framed the article that we put on the local newspaper.

As Ozemu pointed out, most teenagers (and adults) worry far more about themselves than other.

The Scout continued on into scouting for a year and quit because he wanted to concentrate in earning his 3rd degree black belt and his trainer status. From time to time, I still see him. I would greet him as "How is my life-saving scout doing?" I would get a beaming smile and a "great."

1Hour

I think he should at least be considered for a national, or at least a council, certificate (or possibly medal) of merit or even the heroism award. He was not just performing a duty or meeting an obligation. He was no more obligated to help the choking person than any other bus passenger. He did put into practice Scouting skills and ideals. If the bus was moving, he put himself at some (perhaps slight) risk by getting up out of his seat.

There is a precedent: Roberto Mercado of Stow, Ohio receivd a heroism award for saving his mother's life via the Heimlich maneuver. He was only 9 year old Cub Scout at the time.

I saw the video on our local news channel. The mentioned the the BSA. Medal or not, nice to see.

Now what got my attention is that a school bus felt the need to have a video camera on board. What has become of our society? It is truly sad.

"Now what got my attention is that a school bus felt the need to have a video camera on board. What has become of our society? It is truly sad."

We live in an increasingly strange society. Adults are required to run to the authorities (shades of Germany 1938) if they suspect an incident of child abuse. However, in many cases, those same adults cannot step in to protect a child from other children.

There was a case in the news recently (caught on videotape) in which kids on a school bus started pounding another kid. The victim was severly injured but the driver did nothing. Why? Because he's not allowed to touch a child. In such a situation, he is supposed to stop the bus, direct the thugs to stop and then call the police.