Can someone help me find...

Can someone help me find an organizational flow chart for the BSA and possibly who is in each position?

I have searched various places looking for one and have had no luck. I have always been curious about the "rank structure" of the BSA on a national level and council level. I know that the SE is the head cheese over a council (cause I have to ask him for money :)), but I know he must answer to people on both the local and national levels.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a chart? Does sucha beast even exist?

Thanks,

OX

You know. Just to make sure I was not totally out of my mind, I went back through the BSA's website. That thng is like a maze!

Maybe I was not looking in th eright place, but I never found a page or list that had any national-level professionals for the BSA.

If Dave is hovering he could give you a more exact answer, but basically the SE (Scout Executive) is an employee of the BSA that is contracted to serve within a local council. They answer to both the council's Executive Board and to a Regional Director (I believe that is the title) of the BSA. The 50 states are divided into 4 regions. The BSA's oversea councils are managed by directors who answer directly to the National Council.

The BSA determines who is eligible to apply for a position opening and sets a salary range based on the size and resources of the council. The council executive board however sets the actual salary and partners with the Scout Executive and other local BSA professionals to set and meet local goals.

The actual management tree varies greatly from council to council based on the size, needs, and resources of the specific scouting community.

Annual financial reports are available through your council office, and are compiled once a year by law as a 501-c organization. As a private organization they are not required to publish them publicly, just as in the case of your church. I presume the National Council does the same.

The Scout Exec. may appear to be the "Head Cheese" and in certain circumstances he is. However most of the time he or she is the person who is charged with implementing the strategic long term plan of the council. This plan is put together with the input of volunteers. He or she is a member of the Council Key3, along with the Council Commissioner and the Council President. They work as a team working toward goals set by the National Council and the Council Executive Board. Along with working at becoming a Quality Council.

The Region is divided into Areas and each has an Area Committee. These guys spend a lot of time looking at Council Charters and do review each Council Charter before presenting it. The meeting (My First) was pretty boring. Most of the time was spent talking about membership and Councils that had not reached Quality Council.

Our area committee does have members that represent each program area along with members who are there to help with the plans for special events: The National Jamboree and the World Jamboree. The set-up is not that very different then that of a District committee.

Please don't tell anyone that I said so. - But these meetings don't really have that much to do with the program that is presented in the units. Just as the Leaders serve and support the youth in the unit. The District serves and supports the units. The Council serves and supports the Districts and the Region serves and supports the Council. The bottom line is that the unit is where the action is and where we all want to see that the aims, methods and mission of the BSA is being delivered to the really important people - Our Youth.

Eamonn