The Scoutmaster's Key award requires 3 years tenure as a Scoutmaster. "Acting" doesn't count.

The Boy Scout leader's training award requires two years tenure as a registered adult Boy Scout leader, any position or combination of Boy Scout positions.

The BSA uses two letter position codes for most (all?) volunteer positions.

Scoutmaster => SM

Asst. Scoutmaster => SA

Cubmaster => CM

Committee Member => MC

etc.

The Scouter's Award, correctly termed the Boy Scout Leader Training Award, is an award for SM, SA or MC positions. On must be trained for their position, two year tenure and assorted other req's.

Of course there are other ways to get the same Key award (medal and knot) but as a commissioner or committee member with your district or round table. Same 3 year tenure but different requirements for each different position.

About ASMs... I always thought for a position so vital and important to a troop's well-being that it was a whimpy title with the emphasis always on the Assistant. It would actually sound better to use to the official BSA designation of Scoutmaster Assistant. I know, we are so used to ASM it is unlikely ever in this universe that we will change.

" It would actually sound better to use to the official BSA designation of Scoutmaster Assistant."

Huh? In my patch box, I don't have a single patch that says "Scoutmaster Assistant." In my many Scoutmaster Handbooks, it doesn't use that term either. However, the BSA way of writing it is "assistant Scoutmaster."