Deaths and injuries have nothing to do with the prohibition on Laser Tag or Paint Ball. I am pretty sure that the posters who have suggested that know it is not the reason.

The BSA believes (and I personally agree), that the scouting program should not be modeling activities where children point weapons at each other.

Forget about accident statistics, they are irrelevant in this situation. Pointing weapons at another human being is not a lesson taught in scouting. The only exception is in law enforcement Learning for Life units when participating in supervised law enforcement exercises.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it ironic that BSA encourages sports in which death is not uncommon (skiing, white water, climbing) but yet discourages a safe game.

As for laser tag deaths, I found an unsubstantiated comment no deaths are attributed to laser tag in America but there have been some in Mexico. I do recall that about 15 years ago, a kid was killed by a cop in classic screw up, he was playing laser tag and the police showed up so the kid pointed his gun at the cop.

It's very sad and unfortunate that a kid screwed up and pointed a harmless gun at a cop and paid for it with his life. Guns aren't toys, and playing games that simulate killing other human beings is not the kind of lesson that BSA wants to impart to our boys.

Pack,

You will have to kill the dog on a full moon and bury it 4 feet deep in the woods. Just kidding. There is the old remedy of bathing in tomato juice. I've never had the privilige of being sprayed, so I don't know if it actually works. Dogs have survived outside in the cold for millions of years. I'd let it explore its wild side until the odor wears off. Now if your dog is like my dog, it'll sit outside the door all day whining to get in. But that isn't really an option....is it?

Is the prohibition of laser tag and similar activities within the Guide to Safe Scouting? If so, then it would be quite misleading, given the supposed reason given for it's prohibition. In other words, if the issue is simply that of combat simulation, then the prohibition on such activities should be moved to the 2004 issue of the Guide to Politically Correct Scouting, not the G2SS.

Or are there actually safety related reasons for its prohibition?(This message has been edited by Adrianvs)

Congratulations, Packman, you win the prize for THE most off-topic hijacking of a thread so far this year.

I've heard that certain feminine hygiene products will get rid of the skunk smell. And no, I don't care to try and explain why.

Sorry about the hijack but thanks for the help. Yep, the dog sat at the door and whined until we let it in (and into the downstairs bathroom where the whining wouldn't bother us). I see experimentation in the dog's future, thanks to all the great suggestions (has anyone seen the film, "Holes"?) I'll hijack another thread when I have the results. Thanks again.

As an adult leader in a troop you don't have the option of deciding whether you will follow the G2SS rules or not depending on your own opinions. When you as the leader sign a tour permit (that is the only way to be covered by BSA insurance on your outing) when you sign it you are afirming that you have a copy of the G2SS in your possession, you have read it and will follow those rules. If you don't then your Council should not issue the tour permit and the outing is by definition NOT a troop activity. If your are going on an outing with no tour permit, or one that is incorrectly issued, then you are not going on a BSA outing.

To me the fine points of whether insurance applies or not are important and must be kept in mind. But I think BW's note is important for another reason as well. While some circumstances may result in the absence of a tour permit, if a troop or a leader manipulates circumstances with that intent, it is a deception that I think violates the 'trustworthy' point of the law. I am sure that KA6BSA does not advocate such action but to me it seemed worth saying.