We were scheduled to do the Allagash July 2003 but the Government deceided my services and that of a couple other leaders were more more important than canoeing the back water's of Maine. Can you believe that they thought work was more important? Boy do they need to get thier priorities in line.

Seriously, There are outfitters that will do as little or as much as you want. We were working with a company called Allagash Outfitters.

I was so looking forward to doing this again with my son too. I canoe'd the Allagash back in the Summer of 1968 as a scout when the local council was doing it as a program. That 10 days on the river contain some of the most vivid and greatest memories I have of scouting as a youth. If you have the chance go for it.

Paul

Outfitters, going for a fifty mile award, oh my eyes, the pain, why do you people need a patch in order to get out in the woods, and then why do you need to pay someone to do all of the planning, mapping, and Im sure paddling if you asked, this isnt camping people, this is a vacation. Have we forgotten about this little thing called leadership, and letting the boys plan the trips. There ought not be any need for a guide.

Sturgen,

Thanks for your reply. However, your reply does contain a lot of assumptions. Our Troop is a boy led Troop and the boys will do all the planning. A SM's job is to understand all the options in order to help guide.

Thanks for your input.