Recharter: quality unit, dropper or transferred, roster corrections

I'm attempting to answer some questions in pencil, preparing to review the paperwork with the UC (who is currently ill, so I'm cutting him a break and coming to you :)). As of this month, the leader with the most tenure is a den leader who knows little of committee/charter/training issues that haven't related to his position.

Quality unit: The CM for the past several years is moving on with his son to the troop, and I've been the CA. I have been asked to be CM, so we will have a CM but no CA. The form is confusing: stating "we will have..." with a box for this past year and another to plan next year has me wondering if we are quality or not. We had a CM and CA this past year, both trained, and we will have--assuming we can recruit one--a CM and CA this coming year. How do those boxes get answered please?

When a boy listed on the roster bridges to Scouts, what is he considered? All the boys who bridged last year in mid-February should not be on our roster now, for they were made members of the troop prior to our charter renewal. How to address this? Dropped, transferred, or some other way? Same for a leader who was DL to Webelos who bridged and moved on to the troop with the boys--how to record this change?

Leaders who are incorrectly accounted for on the roster--will their tenure in their current positions be effected by an error in the roster? How best to fix this?

If you have any tips on how to best to handle the charter process, I welcome them. I've been given the honor of filling this paperwork out . I don't mind, but I want to do it right, and knowing the UC will help but is currently ill and then has limited time, I'd like to make the best use of that time. For, no surprise I'm sure, I do have more questions for him that are more specific in nature to our unit.

TIA!

The quality unit Application has two columns.

The left column is a record of your last year for which you are applying for the award, the right column is a goal setting column for this year, for which you will apply for Quality unit at your next charter renewal time.

So left column is what was, right column is goal setting.

If a scout has leaft the pack for Boy scouting, simply strike his registration line off of your membership roster paperwork in your renewal packet. it is the troops responsibility too show that he has transfered or is a new troop member.

To correct unit positions, strike the incorrect office and write the correct position code next to it.

If the change is from DL to WL there is no need to include a new application. But if for instance it is from Mc to DL, or DL to CC, or CC to CM, then a new apllication with the required signatures should be sent in with the Charter.

Thanks Bob.

Memories of the days when I was District Commish. Came flooding back.

I never had a problem with Troop Charters but at times some of the Pack Charters made me dizzy.

Am I right in thinking that a Assistant Cubmaster is not a required position?

Laurie you might want to give the list of the Lads who crossed over to your unit commissioner. He might be able to check that they are where they are supposed to be and if they are not maybe someone could give them a call and see what they are up to and invite them to rejoin?

Just an idea.

Have Fun.

Eamonn

Thank you Bob and Eamonn. This is now much clearer.

Eamonn, my husband is working on the troop roster (how convenient :)), so I already checked that the boys did get added to the troop's roster. They're there, but they're also on the pack roster.

Your help is appreciated!

If there's anything that you would think would be consistent across all of BSA, it's rechartering. But, I'm finding that not to be the case this year.

Our procedures this year have changed. If a leader is changing positions, then he/she has to fill out a new adult leader application for the new position. Supposedly, this is so background checks are done on those that have been around for a while. Therefore, Tiger cub leaders that are now den leaders => new form. Den Leaders that are now Webelos Den Leaders => new form. Committee member becomes Assistant Cubmaster => new form..... It has defintely complicated/slowed down the recharter process.

And, to make us look even more unorganized, consider our predicament. Our IH/COR was the pastor, who left during the year. An elder in the church was also a committee member and now serves in those roles, for both the pack and the troop. I have to ask him to fill out (1) an adult leader app for the pack IH role, (2) an adult leader app for the pack COR role, (3) an adult leader app for the troop IH role, and (4) an adult leader app for the troop COR role. Who came up with this rule??? The BSA must have hired someone away from the IRS. This may not be the case in all councils, but it's what they're making us do here.

In our council if you change position in the unit DL to CM during recharter all you have to do is change the position code on the recharter, no app needed (been that way for the last fifteen years Ive been a commissioner). A change another time you need an app. IH have never needed an application, just a change on the top of the recharter but if holding any other position they need to fill out app.

If you fulfilled the requirement during the year, old Cubmaster for nine months was trained, just got a new one hasnt had a chance to train you can count it.

A new application, when an adult changes position, insures that the charter organization has knowledge of who is doing what in the unit, and who has direct contact with youth. The CO is ultimately responsible for selection and approvalof each adult leader. They have a right and an obligation to have the final say in who holds what position in THEIR scouting unit.

The unit committee has a responsibility to keep the CO involved in the process and give them current, accurate, information as to who is doing what job in the unit.

Plus when the CO signs off on the recharter, they are approving the leadership, just like on an application. They have already approved the adults on the recharter when they approved their original application. Now this signature is approving their new positions.

As of the last time I attended a district-level meeting where charters and adult applications were discussed, the "rule" in our council was said to be that new applications are required if an existing leader is becoming a unit leader (CM/SM), CC or CR, but not for other positions. The reason given was that this way, they would make sure that the right "official mailings" from the council/district would go to the right people. Almost nothing was said about the CO's other than to make sure you get the right signatures. When I went from being DL to Assistant Cubmaster I remember calling the registrar to see what she needed in writing, and was basically told, nothing, just make sure it is changed on the next re-charter. I know that when we had leaders "aging" from one den-level to the next, we just changed it on the charter, same with people going on or off the committee to/from another position. However, this was all before the "criminal background check" came into existence, which I believe was April 2003. Whether this has now caused our council to require new applications for all new position changes, I do not know.

And by the way, half the time when we changed things on the charter, when we got the charter back we found that changes were transposed from one leader to another, or simply ignored. But that is another thread I guess...