Adult App Sign Up = Adult Leader?

A Scout Unit should identify and ask a person to join the staff of that unit in the capcity of what is needed. An Adult can ask to join, but the Scout Unit does not need to accept/turn in that application. So, it is not just immediate. Plus the Application needs to specify what position.

You do not need to be registered to be on a BOR.

As to Camping....Having parents show-up on a Campout because they want to go starts looking like a Family Campout. That is not the reason Boy Scouts started. I would restrict who goes on Campouts to only ASMs. MCs can go, but they are usually the drivers.

Parents can help out on Unit activities as needed. I would enforce YPT be taken so they know the rules.

Again, the CC and Unit Leader should pick and choose who is on staff. Generally the COR has no clue as what is going on in a Unit and they just sign the paper that is in front of them.

Parents are welcome at any and all functions, per BSA. We usually have parents and/or committee members on campouts. That said, it is far from family camping--no siblings, and the adults camp/cook in our own area separate from the scouts. Also, the ASMs (and SM) keep the other adults from interfering with the scouts.

We require at least one adult from each family to join the unit. We let them know they are on the TC and invite them to start attending the meetings. We don't "hard sell" them on leadership positions that first year, but we try to let them know that the troop does not function without adult input and assistance. We then hold a few sessions where we highlight the roles and how to get involved. Usually folks step up for to help organize a thing or to or to assist the boys with organizing things (service projects, COH, outside events, etc.).

We have found we end up with a few different types of folks: 1) Those who jump in and help right away, 2) Those who take time to find their role, 3) Those who eventually step up though perhaps at first reluctantly, and 4) Those who cannot be bothered to help...or you don't want their help because they just don't follow directions. ;)

Our CO wants all adults involved in it's youth programs to be background checked. That means anyone who attends a campout. The church's process cost $65. BSA membership is a steal. Adults pay their own registration fee.

Do your Councils do background checks?

I have checked with my Council and I was told they do a "simple check". I suspect this is up to each Council.