I know many of you have said that a Blood Drive isnt a good Poject, but I've been given the go-ahead. Just need to ask, what other leadership roles could be accomplished besides these:

Getting volunteers and scouts to:

Put out flyers

go to the local radio

put articles in paper

putting sign-up sheets in stores

going to get the t-shirts made

getting the snacks

getting the food for lunch to serve the worker

take a report sheet to the donator to feel out before donating

putting up area

taking down area

take pictures of the event

Thats all I can think of, please add more if any, and any more positive comments as you wish. Thanks.

The first time around on this topic there was overwhelming advice that for many reasons it was not suitable as an Eagle Scout project. Why am I not surprised that in SPL_T15's fantasy world he would go ahead with it anyway?

KA6BSA - The first time around this young man asked if we thought it was a good idea. You can still reply to that post. In this case the question is how to make this the best project it can be. Can you help him in any way?

SPLT15 - To make the most of it, is there any way you can set this up as a yearly event? (or twice ayear?) Would be a lot better if it had a lasting effect rather than a one shot deal.

Maybe make a big deal over the total blood donated by scout leaders vs. scouts (what's the rule in your state? 16 and up w/ permishion?).

Scouts wash cars of the doners?

Ask if you can speak at the leaders round table to promote this.

I just replied to the other thread as to what I think about a Blood Drive for your Eagle Project after reading this thread. (I missed the orginal post)

As the SPL for your troop show leadership and "Lead by example",choose a better project. One that is worthy to be called an "Eagle Project". There are "tons" of projects just waiting for a young man like you to discover them. Try "Taking the path less traveled".

Sorry if I am bit harsh but a Blood Drive is NOT Eagle material.

KA6BSA, I guess you didnt read the last sentence in my first post. As for the gazeebo, an Eagle Scout has already done one in my community.

As for the yearly thing, I could and will try to see if we can make it yearly. Wingnut, those are good ideas, only problem is that we only have 9 scouts, that includes the 3 older scouts but, if I can get more volunteers, the car wash could be done.I gonna have to find out about the permission thing, i think thats about right, but I have to talk to the lady.

The thing is, everyone in my community like the idea, the troop likes the idea, heck even my school likes the idea. I'm asking you scouters of more ways to show leadership, not if you beleive that it is or isnt a good project. I know your just trying to help, but please, help me by not trying to down grade the idea, but in improving it. I thought a scout was suppose to help others at all times, and I beleve that doing a blood drive will be helping many people. If you dont have any suggestions of how to improve it, then dont post.

SPLT15,

I made the gazebo reference to heckle one of the posters. I think that a blood drive could be the center of a "worthy" project. Given the routine and professional nature of the blood drive itself, you should develop more related to and supporting it in order to demonstrate leadership. It is good that you are on this board asking for suggestions of ways to improve the project. It seems to me that you are involved in planning the project and preparing to carry out the leadership when the time comes. I don't think that a project needs to be some object that a brass plaque can be attached to.

That being said, the blood drive alone wouldn't be enough. I like the t-shirt idea. If you show leadership in the design, supply, and distribution of these items then they are an excellent addition. Just be sure that nothing is begun until the project formally starts. If the troop has these shirts made while you are planning (even if you come up with them), then they aren't part of the project. Perhaps you could make the blood drive part of a larger event. You could plan some sort of health awareness expo or something of the sort of which the blood donations are a part. The blood drive could be the main part, but the more you plan and carry out around it, the more the project becomes yours and the more you can demonstrate leadership.

In all of this (and I'm sure you've heard this before), the main point is that you demonstrate leadership. For much of this, you should be appointing tasks to volunteers, but some things may be done by yourself (training, designing, contacting, etc). In the planning stages, don't let all your volunteers know what is likely to be done unless you are asking for advice. Then take all the ideas and formulate a master plan. Reject the ideas that won't work and accept those that do. Then you can present the plan to your volunteers and get feedback. Otherwise, people just start doing things that they heard of or think of new things to do and you are no longer a project leader.

I don't know exactly how far you are in the planning and approval stages, but hopefully some of this will be helpful. You seem to be interested in making this a good project and I commend you for that. I'm sure that you can make the blood drive the center of a good and worthy project.

Yours in Scouting,

Adrianvs

Those are great ideas!!!!!!

Yea, I can ask some health professionals and some doctors to come in and talk to people about the importance of donating blood, and tell about the medical advantages for you and your immediate family of donating blood.

And, I can get some scouts to wash peoples cars when they come to donate blood.

The t-shirt will be red, and on the back have the Eagle Scout patch, and under it saying "I Gave Blood For Eagle Scout Project"