Troop Silver Anniversary, thoughts from last week

This is going to be a somewhat long story inspired by a Troop dinner held a week ago. It is heavy with troop history and is quite long. It probably needs some serious revision before it is fit for human consumption. If you are the sort that can't get enough of even the most poorly told Scouting stories, read on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troop 280 was founded in March 1977. We had a Silver Anniversary Dinner last Saturday. It was an event well worth the two hour one way drive.

Troop 280 was founded in March 1977 after a Methodist minister approached the local district about starting a troop at his church. He had a vision of Scouting being a part of his church's youth program. It was also a chance for the church to do something to benefit others outside the church. In the end a 26 year old Eagle Scout was asked to lead the troop. He had been a troop leader before, but never a Scoutmaster. Now he was being asked to build a program from the ground up.

The troop and church hosted an open house and 13 families showed up. The sons of those 13 families would become the first Scouts of Troop 280. The troops first year there was no trip to summer camp. The new Scoutmaster was worried that it might not go too well since the troop had never been on any camping trip before. However, they outdoor program soon got under way. The council camporee was the first outing. Another nearby troop loaned Troop 280 enough extra equipment to make it through the weekend. That was the beggining of a tradition of strong outdoor programs that still endures today.

The troop was lucky enough to have success with early fundraisers such as barbecue sales and what not. This, and a parent that was a manager at Kmart, allowed Troop 280 to begin aquiring its own equipment. At the same time that these first funraisers were showing a success the young Scoutmaster and the parents made the commitment that no boy should ever have to stay home because they couldn't afford an outing. Since that time the Troop has had other fundraisers. There have been more barbeques, candy sales, popcorn sales, car washes, and the greatest success - Christmas tree sales. Those fundraisers have paid for the tents of the troop, dining flies, patrol boxes, and other equipment. It has ensured that transportation was available to the Scouts by allowing the purchase of an old school bus (old yeller by some accounts) and more recently a 15 passenger van (old blue to some). The gear has found its way to events in the various trailers the troop has borrowed or purchased over the years.

Though funraising has always been a key to the troops financial success, it was not always enough. In the early years leaders and parents had to personally sign for fundraising materials to guarantee payment. Other times fundraisers fell short of expenses and generous parents made up for the short falls. None of these parents did this to recieve recognition (and I feel certain several of the specific examples given at the dinner had never been made public until then), but rather instead to ensure that their boys, and those of other families then, and in the future, could recieve the benefits of Scouting. All through the years, even in the leanest of years, no one ever had to stay home because they couldn't afford it.

The troop did not forever remain under the guidance of that same Scoutmaster. He eventually took on district and council jobs, and started a family. Only when there was simply too much for one man to do did he step down. Even then he did not stop serving Scouting. He remained an assistant in the troop and was Woodbadge director for several years. During this time two others stepped forward and carried on where the first Scoutmaster had left off. Though the original Scoutmaster did return to his post after several years. (I have to think it would have been like Kirk returning to the Enterprise. It was where he always belonged.) He remained at his post until family obligations forced him to again step down in 1999. As history would show that was not only the end of his tenure as SM, but also the end of an era in troop history. The trip to Colorado that summer proved to be the turning point. After that the SM and CC stepped down, and the last of the old guard of ASMs and CMs faded away. Gone from active duty in the troop were any who remembered that first generation of Troop 280 Scouts.

Shortly after this trip to Colorado the Scouts that had been in the troop prior to my joining began to depart as well. It wasn't long before I was the SPL of a troop without a SM, or any of the more experienced Scouts to guide it. Fortunately at least one hanger on from the past stepped in to fill the void just enough to hold everything together until a new SM could be found. That new SM happened to be an Eagle Scout and English teacher who had joined Troop 280 as an ASM a week after I joined it as a Scout. (which produces the odd affect of me often being the longest tenured member of the troop at many functions) The new SM has since set the troop back on solid footing. He has helped ensure that a few dedicated parents took on the job of running the committee. He has also been an indespensible source of leadership and encouragement to youth and adult alike during a somewhat rocky transition. (though he had what now seems to be the good sense to let most of the bumps smooth themselves out, rather than following the advice of others that suggested he take command and fix it himself)

Now, back to the previously mentioned outdoor program. That has included so many camporees that the event ribons can't fit on the troop flag pole. Then there are the awards ribons from competitions, the consistent quality unit awards, and all sorts of sundry ribons. These require about a four foot horizontal pole just to display. The troop has been to summer camp, or some other major summer time camping experience, every summer since 1978. Most years the troop went to summer camp and spent another week on the road or trail as part of a major troop planned outing. That in addition to generally having an outing per month. The troop has been to Colorado (Rocky Mountains), Wyoming (Grand Tetons), Florida, Canada (Niagra Falls), D.C., Jambo (as visitors), Baltimore, Gettysburg, Manassas (sp), Wisconsin (Dells), and these are just a part of the troop planned summer trips. The troop has likewise been to many different summer camps. Though the pinnacle of Troop 280's outdoor program has always been, and will likely remain, the periodic Philmont treks. The troop usually sends at least one crew every four years. Sometimes it has sent multiple crews. Sometimes it has waited longer, or been more frequently. In 2001 I went as Crew Leader and one of my advisors was on his 3rd trek with the troop (the other two as youth).

Now you may notice I didn't say anything yet about advancement. Well that sort of goes along the same lines as everthing else. The troop has produced 27 Eagles. It usually has one of the highest advancement rates in the Council. (though not necessarilly the fastest) Of my original patrol, two made Eagle, the others dropped over the years. Of the original 13, 4 made Eagle.

(OK. I know this is long, but it will only be a few more paragraphs.)

Near the close of the dinner a remark was made that made me think. The COR (who likely saved the troop while we were without an SM) asked that we keep two of the former members of the troop in our prayers. Those two are brothers, and are two of the four boys from that family that were entrusted to the troop over the years. One is no more than two years older than I, so I got to know him in the troop. He married a girl in my AP Chemistry class and they have a kid now. Though he isn't with his family, he is in Afganistan. (He had previously been in Bosnia where he got a sitation for subdoing a local that ran a checkpoint using nothing but a flashlight. The local was carrying a concealed, loaded 9mm.) Both are now serving on active duty in the Army due to the continuing war on terror. I couldn't help but think of the gold stars mentioned on this board. I certainly hope we never have need of one.

The affect of seeing so many old faces, and at least 6 brand new ones to the troop, all in one place was quite profound. It made me feel old and young all at once. I realised that not only was I a part of the greater tradition of Scouting, but also the great tradition of one of thousands of Troops. The idea that there can be thousands of others units with leaders and parents just as dedicated as ours was inspiring. The idea that people share in such a rich experience of Scouting throughout the nation, and world, as what I have was somewhat refreshing.

Scout on everyone. I hope all of you have had as fantastic of a Scouting experience as I have. Sure it has had its down moments,* but I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China, as they say.

*(that includes being tied to a lawn chair, being partially suspended from a tree by my ankle, nearly being killed on a sailboat by a barge, and enough unpleasant or nearly fatal experiences to make me think there must be an entire legion of angels dedicated just to guarding over Scouts)(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I have a somewhat-related question. We are doing an Eagle Scout re-dedication ceremony in a couple of weeks, to honor a man who's celebrating his 50th year as an Eagle scout. We are having some of the Eagle Court of Honor basics - candle-lighting ceremony, his original 1953 Eagle Scout requirements, presentations, etc. I'm looking for ideas of what else we should have. This is an EXTREMELY limited budget, (i.e., my own personal one), but I'm trying to make it incredible, but I just don't know what else to include. Any thoughts????

ProudEagle,

congrats on such a great Troop! May your unit serve youth for another 25 and beyond!

mj,

For regular Eagle COHs, we send letters to local and national politicians, etc., soliciting proclamations congratulating the Scout's accomplishment. Perhaps your occasion would be one to consider this for, also.

Mark