New Cub Scout Adventure Program - Starting in May 15

I understand that 5th graders will be able to earn the AOL without Webelos, but I would think the 4th graders who have earned most of AOL the old way would want to finish up with the old system (as would their leaders). Then new 5th graders would be a different group doing the "AOL lite" program. I guess it would be possible to put new 5th graders into the troop, but that's basically changing the starting age for Boy Scouts. Not sure I agree with that. Part of the reward of AOL (which currently is pretty tough to complete in 6 months) was that you earned the right to start Boy Scouts early.

We do crossover in March, and never have problems with downtime. In fact, I am finding it pretty tough to get through all 20 activity pins and do proper preparation for Boy Scouts in that timeframe (1.7 years). Of course I'm in a direct service unit with no summer camp, so maybe that's not the case for everyone.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it disconcerting enough the way Arrow of Light is. Under the program guidelines, a boy that's been scouting 4.5 years and one that has been scouting 0.5 years that amassed the pins in 6 months

Glad to see the Sports & Academics Program and belt loops going away. A lot of those seem like just a rubber stamp. Kids on the soccer team get the soccer award, etc. Scouting doesn't need to be t