Philmont Training Center questions

Thinking about going to the Training Center this summer and taking the family. I'm currently a Web II den leader, but my son will be going into Boy Scouts in February. I'd like to position myself as a Pack-Troop liaison to try to build a better relationship with the feeder packs, and also possibly as some kind of trainer. There looks like there's a good session June 8-14 for those types of positions. I'm sure many of you have been to the Philmont Training Center. What was your experience? I will have my 9 year old daughter and 11 year old son with me, along with my husband. Is the training worthwhile? Will my kids have fun? Can we all sleep in the same tent or will we need to split up? Will my husband be the only male in the spouses group?

• Downvote 1

This is Awesome. I have not been, but working on going. Hopefully this year. The people who have gone love it. Yes, you can take your whole family. You sleep as a family. While YPT is in affect, your with your family. I do not know about being the only male in the spouse group. I bet he would not be alone. The people that I know who have gone totally loved it.

As for your position going forward after Crossover. Training is awesome, especially in Cubscouts. Have you contacted your District Training Chair? I suspect you can get on the Training Team there. Also, there is a Webeos to Scout Coordinator in many District's. Will you still be involved on the Cubscout Roundtable?

If there is EDGE in your Council, take that training. You need it to be a Trainer. Plus, it gets you networking with other like minded people.

This is Awesome. I have not been, but working on going. Hopefully this year. The people who have gone love it. Yes, you can take your whole family. You sleep as a family. While YPT is in affect, your with your family. I do not know about being the only male in the spouse group. I bet he would not be alone. The people that I know who have gone totally loved it.

As for your position going forward after Crossover. Training is awesome, especially in Cubscouts. Have you contacted your District Training Chair? I suspect you can get on the Training Team there. Also, there is a Webeos to Scout Coordinator in many District's. Will you still be involved on the Cubscout Roundtable?

If there is EDGE in your Council, take that training. You need it to be a Trainer. Plus, it gets you networking with other like minded people.

Thanks for all the info. Lots of questions I'll need to find answers to. This is all happening so fast. I'd heard about Philmont as a high adventure camp, but didn't know about the training center until yesterday when I went to a Cub Scout Leader training. I have not had the best experience trying to get den chiefs for our pack or trying to get the local troops to provide some sort of Webelos Outdoor Activity to help them qualify for AOL. That is why I think there is a need for somebody to take the lead on this. I will contact the District to get more info.

See a need, fill a need! Good for you! Your training enlightened you! That is what it's there for. I am a former Cubmaster, and fought several battles along the same lines. It's slow, but it can happen. Take what you know and learn more and apply it all.

Yes, go to District. Talk to them. Also, go to Wood Badge. You will find more like minded people (generally) and they will help you network. Chat with the Wood Badge Staff, they will point you in the right direction. Tell them you want to be a Trainer. They love that stuff.

You will be great!

We went a few years ago, and had a great time. We did not have any children at the time, but from what we saw the kids were having a blast. Your sons program will be basically a week long Boy Scout program, what summer camp used to be before they became merit badge factories. Most of the participants were male, but there were several women there, and a few men in the spouse program.

I took the Unit Commissioner class and was expecting some top secret, Philmont only training, what I got was the training that I had already received. I got more out of the discussions we had about how different people and areas of the county handle problems, and it was well worth the trip. If your course is anything like mine was be prepared to bring home tons of handout, books, and other material they give out during the course, plus anything that you buy at Tooth of Time Traders. We happened to be there when TTT was having their annual sale, happens one week a year.