Clarification / Information on corporate sponsorships

I have to wonder if providing advertising space on a trailer or something along those lines would constitute a service. In that way you could have your corporate sponsors, and be selling a service. I don't know if that would work or not, but it might.

I know my troop gets most of its funds from annual Christmas tree sales. That has been enough to pay for several troop trailers over the years, most of the scouts summer camp fees, a 15 passenger van, and many other things over the years.

Another idea, (one I just thought of) you are chartered to a church, is ask if at Scout Sunday you can take up a special collection for the troop.

On the issue of event fees, I think District and Council adding on to the fees is a nearly universal problem. I know this was a problem with a Camporee planned by the volunteers in my district. After the DE or SE decided to change the budget the volunteers bailed out and the event was cancelled. Several units in the council host their own camporees with near by units just to get around the many problems associated with Council/District events.

I know at the last Jambo our contingent ended up having extra money. This was after the SMs had done everything they could think of to make certain the money paid in fees was spent on this event. In the end only a small amount of each persons fees wound up being given to council, but I have to wonder how much lower of a fee would have been needed if they had really been careful with the budget instead of feeding everyone at buffets and what not during touring.

To me a $10 Camporee fee is outrageous. Many OA events are done with a $10 fee, that includes a patch, program materials, and food for all participants. If an OA lodge can do a weekend including food, for ten bucks, then a Camporee should easily be less than half of that cost since it doesn't include participant food.