So I'm the new CubMaster.....

I've been a den leader the past 2 years and was asked by the departing Cub Master to take the reins this year. I had a plan during the summer to address shortcomings in the pack leadership since we were down to 5 leaders. Well, when I sent out the July email to have all leaders meet and discuss the upcoming year, the replies made it clear I was leader of a dead pack. We had 23 boys going into the summer and I have confirmed 6 are coming back (4 from my webelos II den alone). The others had various reasons but the majority left for another very active pack. The issue I have is that pack requires their parents to participate so why not stay and build on this pack?

Anyway, I have a huge task ahead of me to rebuild the Pack in 6 months (my son is in 5th grade) and I'm going to have to do it with just the incoming tiger parents. If I'm a tiger parent, I might not join the pack. What if on signing night, the Tiger parents see that I'm the only leader and decide not to join? I have my District Executive helping me out the best he can but he's not a parent. Parents will go where it's easy and where their son will be surrounded by many boys. They want an instant active pack.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Visit the other pack, and then ask your son what he wants to do. It's his scouting experience.

You may consider visiting as a group with your total 6 boys.

If 4 of your 6 boys are all in 5th grade, then you really don't have a pack. The 5th graders aren't gonna hang with the 1st grade Tigers. The Tigers will have no Wolves and Bears to emulate, so they'll either drop out or go to the active pack.

Listen cautiously to your DE. His compensation may be based somewhat on keeping your pack alive (numbers!) and taint his vision of what is best for your boys.

Ask.yourself (and your boy) what's great about your pack. Is it the CO, your boy's friends, the fact that you guys make some insane pinewood derby cars?

Confirm the status of each of those 17 unconfirmed.

Be on the level with the remaining parents. If they step up, you can still have a fun program. The good news is you'll only have to make it work for a dozen boys instead of two dozen.

Be on the level with the tiger parents. For them, leadership will be the cost. The reward will be a half dozen boys who will cherish you.

You know how people always grip about classroom sizes that are too big, well you got your silk purse right there!