We Picked The Wrong One.

Our last district chairman fell victim to a promotion at work and was unable to complete his full term.

We did go through the nominating procedure looking for a new chairman and ended up with me.

I had been the district commissioner for about five years.

It took me about a year to get some of the really old people out.

I know how unkind this sounds but some of these people were just not up to the job.

I remember at Philmont they asked what our main concern was. The district commissioner sitting next to me stated that his was "Scouting in a hostile political climate."

I said that mine was the age of my commissioner staff. Somehow his had a better ring to it. Never the less mine was a true concern.

It took me a little over a year to get a working staff together.

We ended up with a commissioner staff of 22 for 46 units.

As a staff we met once a month, with no meeting in July.

The meeting agenda was almost fixed.

We had a quick opening. A training of some sort. We collected the unit visit forms and went over them. Looked at up and coming events in the district and council had a quick closing, and went home.

While we never had 100% attendance we came close. Most meetings seen about 16 - 18.

When district commissioner position became vacant there was one outstanding commissioner who seemed as if he would fit the bill. Better yet he wanted to do it.

Sad to say it isn't working.

He now has an "Elite" group that the rank and file don't like and seem not to trust.

I stopped going to the commissioner meetings. I didn't want to cramp his style.

However in an effort to improve the end of the year membership numbers I did attend the last meeting.

I was flabbergasted. There was four people at the meeting.

I brought this up at our key3 meeting. (He has never mentioned anything about this,) He tells me that he is re-organizing. He tells me that things will get better.

To say that I'm miffed is an understatement.

I think that he has to go.

The sad thing is that at this time I can't think of anyone else to fill the position. Nor can the DE.

He is a nice chap. Done all the training has a Wood Badge, wrote his ticket as a cubmaster.

I have offered to step down as district chair and go back as district commisioner. The DE and the nominating chair (We have yet to discuss this with the full nominating committee) are not keen on this idea.

The council commissioner seems at a loss. He only sees this nice chap and last years charter with 25 commissioners on it and our council as having one of the highest ratios in the nation.

Boy is he in for a shock.

While the nominating committee will have the last word. They will go along with my recommendation.

What would you do.

I have to admit that at this time I think that we have to admit that he was never the right person, we screwed up and let him go.

Eamonn

Eamonn

It seems that it has gotten to the point to relieve the current District Commissioner of his duties. He is appointed by the nominating committee so they can remove him if they feel that he's not doing his job. Some leaders jump into a position believing that they can do the job. Even with all the training, nothing is for certain until they are actually in position. It's best to replace him now then wait when all the esprit de corps is gone.

I pray things goes well.

Matua