Resolving disagreement on passing leadership rqmt

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked with several troops over the years who have done as OGE suggests. Most of the time it works out well. Sometimes the Scout gets frustrated and quits. I would suggest alerting the District Executive before a parent calls him/her to complain so the DE knows what to say.

Good luck.

Dave

Lets see, we have an action on this matter that both Bob White and Ed seem to think is OK, and a blessing with adjuntant suggestion by DSteele, if I was Satan I would be checking on down filled parka's, muk luks and a mummy bag.

Has anyone noticed any funny behavior due to the solar flare?

OGE,

I think you've hit on something here.

For the record, Scout and SM did discuss and agree on a recovery plan - he wasn't just sent away with instructions to do better next time. They discussed some options and agreed to think about it for a few days, then to get back together to finalize a plan with details. If the parents had stayed calm and the CC had backed the SM, this would have already taken place and Scout would be on his way to rank without a lot of negative attention.

Instead, everybody is lathered up and spewing counter-productive words. No adult (or Scout) in the troop believes Scout did the job - that requirement has not been met any way you look at it. The only person in troop who's willing to sign it is TC who wants his phone to stop ringing. There's plenty of recriminations (whys&blame), but there was no progress to be measured so there's no way to support a sign-off.

The SM staff moved quickly to implement changes to prevent future occurrences. CC has been informed (and endorsed) these changes. Entire TC will be informed at next committee meeting. (So BOR for issue resolution won't add much here - solution is already in place and entire TC will get to discuss it, instead of just 3-4 BOR members.)

So now we send this poor scout - who already privately told SM he hadn't done the job - off to a BOR with committee members he doesn't know very well so they can drag him through it all again. Two possible outcomes: 1) The BOR gives him the rank he doesn't think he has earned (bad), or 2) The BOR recommends some additional work on his part with more support from troop (a plan the Scout and SM had already agreed to before others stepped in, but now loaded with more emotional baggage).

If there was no agreement with Scout on need and scope of recovery plan, I would agree wholeheartedly with need for BOR to sort out mess. In our case, I don't think it should have been necessary and certainly not the best thing for Scout. But it doesn't look like we're going to able to avoid it.

Okay, now to throw another wrench into the problem. Let's start anew. We have some sort of generic problem. The BOR decides to investigate by asking for a BOR with a Scout. Similarly, the SM asks to hold a SM conference with a Scout. The Scout in question cheerfully agrees.

In these instances, the BOR and SM are not part of the requirements for the next rank so in my view the SM conference and BOR "slots" should not be signed off even though technically a SM conference and BOH took place. Comments?

Ah, but there is an out, first the scoutmaster tells the scout this isnt a scoutmaster conference for rank advancement, its a conversation to discuss whatever.

The BOR, as we have establsihed isnt always about rank advanement. The BOR tells the scout this is not about rank advancement, its to discuss blank. Remember, for a scout to pass a Board of Review, all members have to agree to advance the scout, if that is not done, the scout doesnt advance. A BOR is not a rubber stamp. I would suggest anytime a BOR is held and a scout doesnt advance, a letter detailing the expectations of the scout and troop is drawn up.