Scoutmaster job description

Ok, here goes;

Understand the mission, aims and methods of Scouting, understand the mission of the chartering organization.

Team player able to work with youth and adults.Displays characteristis of good values,humor,fun, service and leadership.

Eamonn

With thousands of scoutmasters throughout the BSA it is easy to understand how we could have so many different qualities of unit programs and so many differing views on what makes for a good program and good methods.

One thing that would help is if everyone had the same vision and understanding of the program as everyone else. The only way that can happen is for everyone to be 'reading from the same book' to borrow a phrase.

The BSA has understood that for a long time, and has worked to have the information needed to have a "national" program available for all volunteers to reference so that the same questions can recieve the same answers by just reading a chapter or watching a video.

What is the job description of a SM and whose description should it be? If we are here to deliver the BSA program shouldn't the BSA make that decision?

See page 6 of the Scoutmaster Handbook (bold lettering on the left).

Bob White

• 7 years later...

A Scoutmaster trains boys to be leaders, makes available to them the resources and guidance they need to lead well, and then steps into the background to let them do their jobs.

Nice job description, although I don't like the term "jobs", plus Kudu may rant on about their need to "lead." :)

Kudu version: A Scoutmaster trains boys to be skilled in Scoutcraft, makes available to them the resources and guidance they need to learn Scoutcraft, and then steps into the background to let them camp a minimum of 300 ft away from him and other patrols.

Seriously, the hard part is that the training is a process and after one week a Patrol Leader may not have the necessary skills perfected - but there is an outing that week. So what is a Scoutmaster to do? However, I do think the number one failure of most Scoutmasters, and to a greater extent committee members, SAs and other adults, it that they don't understand that the Scouting environment is the perfect venue to allow the boys to fail, so let them! It is a great learning experience.

Now before I get a slew of angry responses, keep this in context. Let them burn the toast. Let them experience a few bugs if they don't zip up the tent completely. Let a racoon rifle through the garbage if they don't secure it before they retire for the night. Heck, I've done those things and I didn't need some "Scoutmaster Emeritus" telling me what to do. We have to balance making the experience fun, educational and adventurous with being a learning experience too. We should not equivocate on basic safety and health but each parent views health and safety through a different lens.

Once the troop went summer camping on the shores of Lake Huron for a weekend. My oldest son, around 15 at the time, went swimming and spent all day in the sun. I reminded all the Scouts about sun protection and most applied sun screen, including my son. I also reminded them to reapply after swimming - some did, but not my son. End result, he got a burn that made him uncomfortable but nothing severe (in my eyes).

Now, some felt I was not stepping back enough. Why did you need to tell them about sun screen? Couldn't a Scout do that? Don't do anything for them that they could do themselves! Others thought I was negligent. You just sat there and let them get burned? My wife (who did not attend) gave me an earful! I told you not to let the boys get sun burned and you went ahead and let them! Don't you care about your son?

I thought to myself that if half the parents thought I was doing too much and half too little (never do they agree with how I conduct my self on outing!) I must be doing something right!

FWIW, I miss Bob White even though he did have a few dust ups with a few posters. BW, do you ever peruse these forums anymore?(This message has been edited by acco40)