Popcorn Kernel and parent volunteers

Hi there. I imagine that I may get a lot of varying opinions after you have read this.

Popcorn training is coming. We already have our training dates in mid-August. Last year was our Pack's first year in taking part in the popcorn sales, since the year before we started the Pack a week after popcorn was finished. Anyway, we did fairly well for being a small pack. Myself (CC, DL, and anything else you want to call me) and my Pack Sec/Treasurer, DL, (and anything else you want to call her) have done pretty much everything, all the "big" events, including popcorn last year. We did have a Kernel last year, but she was unable to carry out the duties because of work-related stuff. Fair enough.

We have been trying to recruit a parent or two to take this event on, as well as get someone to sign-up and follow-through with other events. No luck.

We are going to be hard-nosed this year. We are approaching burn out status pretty quickly and don't want that to happen. Our thoughts after talking last night is that by next month, we will tell the parents in the Pack that if no one steps up, we won't be taking part in the Popcorn Fundraiser as a Pack. And that due to this, we will be asking for more in Pack Dues (possibly $150.00 per scout) to cover advancements and expenses and on some activities we may have to ask for additional funds in addition to the pack dues.

Thoughts and ideas please!

I don't blame you. You do what you have to do.

Have you tried approaching a specific person directly, instead of simply doing a general call for help to everyone in the Pack? It is a lot easier to simply ignore a group request than to say no face to face.

Yep! On many occasions. Part of the frustration for us also is that we started the Pack, signed on, went to training and have literally begged our UC and DE to come help us. We have gotten more "help" from neighboring packs on how things should be done, etc. And at Roundtable of course.

In the other thread, Bob White mentioned that we are our own worst recruiters. We have tried not to come across as this to the Pack. We are enthusiastic, but we do vent in private. I do enjoy scouting, but just want to be able to focus on one thing at a time at this point in the game.

Thanks for the feedback! :-)