18 year old female, ASM

BDPT,

It would really help if you read prior posts before you comment. Eagle and I already discussed that first class rank only applies to youth members, not adult members, did you not understand that or what? Since this 19 year old woman is considered an adult by boy scout rules, the only question was the issue of 21 year old adults plain and simple. In this case the lodge really wanted to honor this woman, all the adults in the lodge agreed, and the SE approved an exception to the 21y.o. rule. So I don't see your problem, except maybe for some personal prejudice?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what I read, thank you.

All of the adults in the lodge and the SE don't have the right to approve an exception.

Allow me to quote: The national OA Committee does not authorize any form of honorary membership in the Order.

BDPT00

BP

Actually the national policy does affect the young lady as under OA policy she is a youth and needed to be First class.

This is the very reason I wish national policy in reference to age be unified, having one age of adult hood for CS and BS, btu another for venturing and OA does create major confusion. Look at sleeping arrangements one lodge had at NOAC: youth under 18, youth 18-20, male adults, female adults. And let's not get into COs that have troops and crews, and how the ages can affect that. You cuold have two great friend who go to school together, but as soon as one turns 18, they can no longer ten together until the other one turns 18 6 months later.

Well all I can say is that it happened and is done. Everyone one is happy and I will not be the one to say it can't be done because of some ridiculous technicality. If you met this woman you would see that she is a very mature adult, engaged to be married and going to nursing school, not some giddy teenager. So bottom line if you don't like it tough, BPDT you can write the SE and tell him he doesn't have the authority to grant an exception cuz I think he knows a little better than you what he can and can not do, lol.

BadenP,

If the case is as you described, the SE and the lodge were wrong. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with personal prejudices - I'm probably on the far-left side of the co-ed Scouting debate, and two of my closest advisers in the OA as a youth were women, but I *know* the situation you outlined doesn't pass the smell test.

The only thing the SE can approve a waiver for is the camping requirement for district or council Scouters, IIRC. If the age and rank requirements can be waived, that opens the door up to Second Class and Tenderfoot Scouts petitioning for membership. ("Why should we have to wait to earn First Class and spend all that time camping? The SE said she didn't have to wait two years to turn 21!")

The guidelines are not any shade of gray, as you suggest, and it's not a ridiculous technicality, as you also assert. It's a rule that's been in place for decades, and the Supreme Chief of the Fire should darn sight know better. Membership in the Order is not the only way that a council can honor someone.

What council are you in?

Shortridge

First of all the council this occured is not the same council as I am in. Secondly, where do you get off acting so high and mighty as some kind of expert, which you are not. Thirdly, why do you even care about this event, its none of your business in the first place. Lastly, I relayed this story because I thought it was a great story and would add to this thread not to have some blowhard pass judgement. You really need to get your priorities straight and grow up a little buddy!

BP,

I believe the problem is the council's disregard for national by-laws. Don't think nay of use are trying to be blow hards, but are stunned by this council's decision.

As for the OP, I think we are agreed that a 18-20 yo female ASM, or any 18-20yo ASM can be a valuable resource to any troop.

The rules for membership can be found here on page A 1.2:

http://www.oa-bsa.org/programs/ttr/ttrsupportpak.pdf

BadenP, you said a 19 year old female WAS inducted in your council.

"Well I guess my council's lodge interpret the guidelines different cuz they recently inducted a 19 year old female ASM into the Order"

Saturday, August 15.

So, which council are you in?

I guess the "MY COUNCIL'S" and "RECENTLY INDUCTED" should just be ignored? Give me a break.

If you don't want it discussed, don't bring it up. And if it isn't YOUR council, why not tell us which one it is? How is that any skin off your nose? I'm beginning to doubt the whole story.

Brent you must be from Dimwitty, GA not Dunwoody, lol. The council this was in was my former council until I moved 3 months ago, okay do you understand now or do you need me to draw you a picture, you really are a piece of work georgia boy, lol. The story is true but I am not going to name names and places on an open internet site for obvious reasons.

Yep, this Georgia boy was born at night, but not last night. I wonder why you said "MY council" instead of "my previous council"? Many of us have our council listed in our profiles - what's the big deal? What do you have to hide, other than the truth?

Because Brent I still think of it as my council as I only moved 3 months ago. Quit trying to make a melodrama out of this because it makes you sound even more pathetic than you truly are. to quote "It is better to let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Why would I have to hide the story, I left the names out because I wouldn't want a bunch of dimwits, like yourself, writing letters to the council or National trying to stir up trouble for no reason. You are truly a real piece of work Brent, I bet you were the class bully in school, as for me I find you a sad and pathetic soul who has no business being a scouter and influencing boys with your particularly nasty type of venom.

Even though this isn't my argument, I was insulted in the same manner in another thread for my so-called lack of reading comprehension skills, so I'll just say it.

Pot. Kettle.

What's with the attitude the last few days?