Spam from Scouter.com . . . and yes, I can prove it!

Gold Winger, do you always make fun of stuff you don't understand . . . or is it just when you are replying to me?

For what it's worth, my 13 year old Scout can do the math involved here, with some effort. So, it's really not that hard. My 21 year old's reaction would be along the lines of, "Well, duh!".

You've already told us -- in your own words -- that you help Scouts analyze rocks by separating them into "three types of rocks: big rocks, little rocks and ones that hit you in the head." Do you also help them separate numbers into 'big numbers, little numbers, and numbers that are too hard to understand'?

GaHillBilly

Guest OldGreyEagle

Goldwinger often makes fun of a lot things, what he understands is often a mystery, at least to me although he does have a handle on the infield fly rule

I wouldnt take what he says personally, I don't...

Oh dear, I've been insulted by a nameless, faceless, paranoid hillybilly. Oh woe is me.

BTW, hillybilly, a brute force spam assault is easy to set up and goes very quicky when you are using distributed processing. How do I know? If I told you, the black helicopters would come for me.

GW, believe me, I haven't tried to insult you yet. I am getting tired of your determination to inflict your ignorance on others. For example, you write "a brute force spam assault is easy to set up and goes very quickly when you are using distributed processing", as if this would make a million spams per SECOND possible.

Perhaps you have trouble with units.

The largest common botnets -- which provide the 'distributed processing' to which you refer -- run to the low 100,000's. With such a botnet, you could possibly handle a million spams per HOUR, but not a million spams per SECOND. Few ISPs will notice and kill 10 MX connections per SECOND, if this is just a transient condition. But, hardly any will FAIL to notice such a connection if it's sustained over days and weeks. Actually many ISP's block all or most outgoing connections to an MX at port 25, which is the normal mail server port address.

GW, these numbers aren't too big for you, but you are in over your head when you persist in trying to discuss this stuff. And, I'm not much inclined to try to teach a guy who can't be bothered to learn enough about plants to help his Scouts do it right! This is harder than that, and the details are less relevant to you.

The fact is your entire hypothesis, concerning how the spams I received could be random, is totally irrelevant and inapplicable.

If you understood SMTP server logging and the sort of information I see, as the actual system administrator, you would never have posted your 'explanation'. Likewise, if you understood what it looked like AT THE SERVER LEVEL when a domain is probed for open spammable addresses, you would never have posted your 'explanation'.

But, you evidently don't know any of those things.

But, I'll add a few other things.

My server rejects MX connections from IPs in so-called "dialup" ranges, or non-static IP ranges. This means that if you try to set up an SMTP server at your home, using your Comcast or ATT home connection, or at your business, using your non-static cable or DSL IP, and then try to sent me emails, my server will perform a lookup on your server's IP, discover it's in range of IPs used for non-static connections . . . and simply ignore the connection. You can't send spam, or any other kind of email, to my domains from such addresses, whether they are 'legitimate' or part of a spammer's botnet.

This means that most of the 'bots in a spammer botnet cannot even CONNECT with my mail server, much less deliver spam to it!

I'm sure that there are others here, including SCOUTER-Terry, who DO know enough about botnets, SMTP, spam, and Linux mail server operation, to know whether I'm trying to blow smoke up their A##.

Why don't you let them handle it? If they prove me wrong, I'll back down and apologize profusely!

GaHillBilly