I need your valued advice.

I own a High Adventure Store here in WY.....and I have decided to start my own version of scouting. I think the BSA has gotten stagnant. Our uniforms are in the works. Patagonia has decided to get in and help us. Cargo Pants with Puckerware shirts (Class A) Instead of a Scout Oath and Law we are going to be more like a fraternity with skill courses. We will be based on code rather than law or oath. Each member will have to bring a role to their crew. We are only in the beginning stages. My son works with me here at the store and he has lots of friends interested. Any ideas on a name? Anyone interested in a news letter? contact me at stjarna321@lhotmail.com.

Any other ideas are also welcomed!(This message has been edited by The Dude)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dude. You're probably not going to get a lot of great advice here, since we are mostly all pro-scouting. Scouting is stagnant? Not where I live. That has to do more with the program that is being offered at a local level.

Sounds like your plans are closer to Venturing than Boy Scouts. Have you looked at that as an option?

Cool dude, Dude. That sounds like an ambition plan to meet the demands of your son and his buddies. I applaud you for taking on the challenges of starting a youth group organization from scratch. I am sorry that you feel you must leave scouting in order to fulfill your son's fancy for the high adventure. Good luck in your new endeavor.

All the best

Its Me

Dude,

Have you been in Boy Scouts? If so, in what capacity and how long?

I myself see Scouting as being flexible enough to deal with most situations - so long as the leadership (adult or youth) are willing to put in some time and effort. Often, of course, that doesn't really happen.

Given that your son is working in your store, I'll assume he is older, likely high school age. As someone else said, Venturing should meet most of your needs. It is co-ed, and is uniform optional. Locally we have several Venture crews. Some focus on sports, while others focus on outdoor adventure.

If you want to learn more about Venturing, go to http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=vy

What do you see as the difference between a "code" and a "law"? I myself think that Scouting did very good with the Scout Law. Its kind of the modern version of the 10 Commandments. The struggle is to make younger kids understand the meaning of the law and then to live by it.

AMEN Brother Kenk

Venturing is perfect for your needs. Why recreate the wheel when its already done for you. This is my third year as a Venture Advisor and I really love the program, give it a try. Homemade programs without real organizational support or resources usually don't last too long.

Look at the book "Here's Venturing" a great resource tool.

Thank you for the information concerning Venture Scouts. I want more freedom. I do not like the idea of being controlled by the B.S.A. I think I could start something new and fresh. My boy and I already go on long treks in the summer. We usually bring a couple of his friends. After all his friends from school started coming by the shop and expressed their interest I decided to do some B.S.A research. I am not looking to be big ,just successful! I want to offer the boys in our small community something they're interested in. Even some of the leadership from our local B.S.A troops are showing interest. I am not here to help the world. I am just here to help my community.

Why would I want to use the uniforms the B.S.A offers? My Patagonia Rep has offered his help by supplying "Quality" uniforms. Web Site is being worked on.

(This message has been edited by The Dude)

I still don't understand. Freedom from what? BSA offers some very helpful guidelines and rules that will help keep you out of trouble. And, if you follow the rules, they have the legal support to back you up in case something happens.

Add that to an existing program - camps, high adventure bases, special programs... Sorry, I don't get why you wouldn't leverage it. Unless you're balking at the God or gay issues? (Oh please, let's not open that up again).

I do not talk about religion or politics. More interested in letting the boys making the policy. I do not think the B.S.A will let us make our own uniforms. Plus our age range will be 16-19. I guess the biggest difference between us and the B.S.A is the fact we will concentrate more on self reliance "survival" and not so much on service to the community.

If through your efforts you get even one kid "off the streets" then your program is a success. Anyone who wants to help their community has my support.

However, (you know that was coming)

I am currently a cub leader (and a former boy scout and sea explorer leader) and have found that the BSA programs were pretty flexable, expecially with the exploring program(now called venturing). We designed our own uniforms (actually, they were just Coast Guard uniforms with Sea Scout insignia) and developed our entire program. It was a success.

A wise old commissioner once told me: you can be flexable with the program, but you can't change policy. Thats because policy is put in place to protect your ass (ie youth protection). I know that some people disagree with certain policies of the BSA (such as the gay issue) but on the whole, the organization and program is pretty darn good.

Whatever path you may take, may it be a safe one. Good luck.

JasonOK here,

I have proven I can talk civilly. I would greatly appreciate if you guys would at least allow me to re-register to this forum under my main email address. I am sorry for being non scout like. I do feel I have a lot to offer though. I promise to stay out of issues and politics. I rather be a positive example for the boys on this forum.

I wasn't even warned by Scouter Terry. Wouldn't it be un-scout like not to give me a second chance.

Respectfully,

JasonOK