I'm new and planning to canoe down the Mississippi..

I'm planning a trip down the Mississippi. So far just my brother and I are going. It's a 2006 trip, so I have a while to plan. We'll take 2 weeks off work. So we figure a 9-10 day trip would be great. We are not experts, but we do both own canoes and go down the local rivers here in Indiana (I know it's no comparison with the Mighty Mississippi). But this is an adventure we have both wanted since we were kids growing up around the St. Louis area. I figure 20-25 miles a day (does that sound right?). 200 miles or so. OK, finally my question. I need help on where to put in and where to take out. The net isn't full of help on this matter except for Minnesota and I kind of want to either start or end within hours of St. Louis (My other brother will be dropping us off and picking us up). Cairo, Illinois looked like a possibility. Not sure wether to startthere or end. A start there looks like we could end in Memphis. Or starting somewhere north of St. louis would be cool too. But would canoeing through St. Louis be fun? The sight would be nice, but the barge traffic and all might get frusterating. Or is this area of the river not comparible to the deeper south. We are open to heading to New Orleans. I would appreciate any help or comments.