Packmaster/Den numbers/Patrol names

I have a copy of Packmaster, and though I read the instructions--most of them, I got somewhat lost--I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help with.

First, how are den numbers assigned? If we used 1 for Tigers, 2 for Wolf, 3 for Bear, etc., would we now need to use 1 for Wolf, 2 Bear, and assign a new number to Tigers? These numbers didn't seem all that important until I began to set up Packmaster.

One of our Webelos dens wants to use patrol patches as opposed to numbers. Does this replace a den number, or is it in addition to a den number?

We are going from no records but financial to finally having records, and though I've done records in other non-profits, this Packmaster does not seem easy. Any guidance, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Have to admit to never used Packmaster.

When we gave a den a number it was their number for ever they changed rank but were always the same den. This worked as there were times when we had more then one den in a rank.

We never had a lot of luck with Webelos Scout Patrols, yes we picked a name wore the patch but that was as far as it went.

Eamonn

I've only dabbled in Packmaster, so I'm not much help on that, but I can tell you the way we've done den numbers is to assign them when a den is created and leave them with the same number untill they crossover. From time to time that means we have gaps in the numberinig system, but eventually we re-assign the numbers to a new den.

The biggest advantage I can see in keeping the same number from year to year is not having to change the den number insignia on the uniform.

Thanks so much for the den number help. I've been told that we simply assign new numbers to dens each year, but that would wreak havoc with record keeping, though that's behind the scenes so it's unknown to the den leaders. Patrol names apparently work the same way, but they'll keep their number too--just get to wear cooler patches :)

As for PackMaster, I'm issuing a standing invitation :) Anyone with tips, pointers, etc., I will welcome them. TIA!

A group of boys makes up a den. The den has a den number. The same group of boys continue to be in the same den with the same den number as they move through the program. When a den moves from Wolf to Bear, or Bear to Webelos, the boys aren't changing and the den isn't changing, only their rank is changing. I'd keep the same den number.

I have not used Packmaster either. I understand all packs in our council are now getting up and running with it if they were not already, but I am not in the pack anymore. (And troops are getting going with Troopmaster as well, of course.)

In my son's pack (like others who have posted), a den was assigned a number when the boys joined as Tigers and kept the same number until those boys crossed over or graduated in fifth grade. I do not know if it says to do this anywhere in the "literature," but the fact that there are den numeral patches implies (to me) that the numbers travel with the boys. The boys are supposed to know their den number and answer to it (so it wouldn't do much good to change it at the beginning of second grade.) Even if a Webelos den had a name, the number was retained for record-keeping purposes. At the beginning of the Tiger year, the new Tiger leaders (with assistance from whatever "older" leader was helping them get started (me for 2 years)) chose the den number. There were almost always gaps in the numbering system, though by chance, in the two years I was helping the new Tiger leaders, we were able to eliminate the gaps. They actually could have chosen whatever available number the store sells a patch for -- I think I once noticed up to "Den 15" in the store.

Hi Laurie,

I use Packmaster and its a very good program. You can simply edit the den assignments screen to be any name you would like. Just highlight the field and change it. The nice thing is that if you like to add clarification to your den names you can identify a den by number and rank, and then change the rank next year. For example, you may want to identify a den as follows.. Den 1 Wolves. Next year, you can change the den definition to . Den 1 Bears. No other change will take place within the program except for the new definition of Den 1. I define our dens by number, rank, and leader.

As someone else pointed out, den numbers do not change each year. The boys get a den number and it stays with them until they move to Boy Scouts. Patrol names for Webelos are a fun thing for the boys to associated with, but they are still a den and must have a number.

I tried some of the different programs that are out there. Packmaster is by far the most user friendly, and the easiest to work with. Good Luck

(This message has been edited by fotoscout)(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

It's been a while since I used PM, but my recollection is that it does not allow patrol names for Webelos. It expects all dens to be identified by den number.

Now this was as of 2-3 years ago -- newer updates may have added that capability.

Fred Goodwin

(currently) ACM, Pack 2003, Alamo Area Council

(formerly) CC, Pack 468, National Capital Area Council

If your quesion is concerning how to make the den numbers work most easily, here's a thought.

Assuming you don't yet have dens numbered, number your dens in order from oldest to youngest:

Web II (or all Webelos if they are all in the same den) - Den 1

Web I - Den 2

Bears - Den 3

Wolves - Den 4

Tigers - Den 5

(Maybe you've got 2 dens worth of Bears...in that case you can do Bear Den 3, Bear Den 4, then Wolves - Den 5, Tigers - Den 6, etc.)

The next year, ranks move up, Web 2's age out, so you can then recycle the Den 1 number for that year's Tigers:

Web II - Den 2

Web I - Den 3

Bears - Den 4

Wolves - Den 5

Tigers - Den 1 (Got more than one den's worth of Tigers? Call that other Tiger Den Den 6)

This way, you don't have to buy all those different den flags - the den flag stays with that den till they age out. Equipment labelled with the Den number gets returned to the pack when the den ages out (and probably the leader is moving on then too) and gets turned over to the next new den.

Just one way to do it - there's other workable plans out there too but this system made things simpler for me.

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls