We are back to talking Root Beer around a Scouting Campfire correct?

Now, a non-scouting campfire? Times have changed, And we've often rewound the clock, Since the Puritans got a shock, When they landed on Plymouth Rock. If today, Any shock they should try to stem, Stead of landing on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock would land on them. In olden days a glimpse of stocking Was looked on as something shocking,

But now, God knows,

Anything Goes.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I find it rather humorous that everything in scouting as been deduced down to dollars and cents. The cost of this and that is the breaking point for our decision making. That's humorous and somewhat disheartening at the same time.

I come from an era where these were not considered part of the process. A cost of a hike? Whatever you wanted it to be. If you wanted to cook a hamburger or a steak, it was your decision. Yes we did a lot more individual scouting, developing a person's individual skills. Occasionally we would pool our resources for the bigger events, but normally we did our own thing.

As a patrol, we usually pooled our resources. If a site fee was involved, it was cut multiple ways by the number going, same for gas, and we were all responsible for our own gear. I still remember the Christmas where I got my first sleeping bag and didn't have to rely on wool blankets anymore. Yet, the last time I went camping and slept out, it was with wool blankets. :)

I've owned open-ended pup tents and high-tech nylon Kelty tents. I was an adult before I purchased a tent with a door and netting. We made do with very little cost on our part.

If price is always the first concern, then there's going to be very little in the form of outdoor activity because the latest and greatest always costs a bundle.

A scout is thrifty seems to take a backseat in many of the activity discussions. Saving money used to be one of the advancement requirements. That's been gone for a long time now and with daddy's pockets, it's easier to beg than earn. With all the call for parental involvement, it's easy to see why. A boy can drop $60 on the latest/greatest new computer game, yet can't find the money for a full uniform. Kinda leaves a guy scratching his head. Thrifty has taken it's hits in recent years.

Stosh

Its not really the amount of the registration fee which really isn't an unaffordable number but rather that there is one at all. Anyone who goes through this process every year knows just getting any amount of money out of people is a challenge and in some units takes months.

What I believe is that most people simply don't get any benefits from giving national this money. Their units certainly get no benefit, none of this money goes to unit camping/activity fees. For the occasional scout/leader who may attend one or 2 events a year they simply get to be subjected to fees they don't want and an onerous amount of paperwork.

Most people don't SEE the benefits but that doesn't mean they're not there. I probably complain about National as much as anyone but the registration fees go toward providing the support network from council, insurance for participants and leaders (my umbrella insurance policy costs me far more than registration fees), infrastructure to select/edit/provide program materials and patches and other stuff, etc.

There certainly are alternatives to this flawed bsa system. Many of the meetup groups I attend have no fees, and zero paperwork. And some of the national outdoor organizations i belong to require a small payment similar to this mainly to afford the group mailings.

Yep and Meetup doesn't provide much to the groups other than a website and e-mail notification (the groups themselves will pay registration fees to Meetup to get services like automated attendance.

Yes eliminating the annual recharter mess will allow in some who are less committed to attend program functions, but at least then there is no barrier to entry or exit.

Really? If $20/yr is a barrier to entry on this program then it's not something you really value. That's about the cost of 3 movies (matinee showings, no snacks) -- AND councils usually have programs like Scoutreach to offset those costs for the truly unfortunate.

Sorry, I think there are far more societal barriers to participation like the active aggression from the ACLU, NEA and other liberal activist groups. I don't think we can or should blame participation drop-off on registration costs.

E732 -- I like the $600 annual fee idea. Actually, $600 is about right. Ten campouts at $20, summer camp at $250, current dues of $90 (which covers BSA fees, BL, insurance and troop admin stuff) and $60 for extras like ski trips and shooting weekend. We would still make money off the guys who don't go to everything. And may be a good way of clearing out the deadwood.