Not trying to be a wet blanket -- I love Animal House as much as the next guy. Heck, I lived in one just like it for 3 and a half years.

However, perhaps we just accidentally demonstrated why more Boy Scout age boys with no Cub experience don't get recruited to join.

Just something to think about.

DS

There are plenty of 4th and 5th grade boys out there interested in being Webelos, but you have to let them know you exist! Have a fun program planned in advance, visit the classrooms, send home flyers, encourage your scouts wear their uniforms to school, make sure your scouts know they can and should invite their friends to join, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. We had nine 4th and 5th grade boys join our pack last fall and anticipate the same results this week.

Here's my two cents worth! While I think that recruiting is a year round process, I believe that spring is a great time to recruit cub scouts. Most councils and /or districts run cub day camps, or webelos overnight camps. These are great activities to get boys into scouting, and usually packs don't have to do much more than sing up, pay and come. What more could you ask for??!!