Close to the Edge

I suspect that most scoutmasters have experienced from time to time the same challenge that I do: coming up with a meaningful Scoutmaster Minute every week. I've been through these forums and others, and often find something that I can use. Sometimes, the more effective ones are those that are completely extemporaneous, based on something that might have transpired during that very meeting.

It's always awkward, I think, to use someone else's Minute, because no matter how well thought-out they are, the words are not my own. I refuse to read Minutes at a closing: it seems insincere. So I paraphrase. Most of the time it works. My own sons usually let me know on the way home if that night's minute "bombed" or soared (rarely), or was just OK.

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a quote by Kurt Vonnegut. It clicked, and I wrote a Minute that I used at the conclusion of our last Court of Honor. I thought it decent, but apparently the parents thought otherwise; it was followed by applause (never happened even once in the last 3+ years I've been SM).

Here it is, in case anyone wants to use it, borrow from it, etc. It probably wasn't delivered verbatim, but the points were all there.

====================

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

America has often been referred to as the land of opportunity. The longer Im around, the more I believe that this statement is quite true. If youre willing to work hard enough, you can do just about anything you want to.

Most of you boys probably have no idea what you want to pursue in terms of a job or a career. You still have time to decide. But consider the possibilities:

We live in an exciting time!

My sons are starting to receive career education information from colleges all over the country. One publication recently talked about the future of the medical field. There are and will continue to be enormous opportunities. New drugs to fight diseases are constantly being developed. New techniques are being tried to improve health and reduce cost. Maybe you could be the researcher who finds a cure for cancer, or finds the key to immunizing against viruses.

Space exploration is filled with discovery. The Mars rovers are still sending back enormous amounts of data about that planet. Someone had to conceive, develop, build, launch, and control those vehicles. Bright minds. The Cassini/Huygens space probe, which has traveled about 3 billion miles over 9 years to circle the planet Saturn, has recently sent back pictures that indicate the possibility of subterranean water on one of Saturns moons. Other scientists have managed to capture particles of solar wind and returned them to earth. The same with comet particles, which might yield clues into the origin of the solar system.

Now, what does this have to do with you?

I think it has everything to do with how big you dream. These opportunities and countless others like them can be yours. But...theres always a but...

Most people have their comfortable routines. You know when you have to get up, go to work or school, do homework, go to bed.

You probably enjoy watching TV or playing computer games, or just hanging out with your friends.

In Scouts, you work toward requirements, go camping and hiking, learn first aid, and more.

But have you really pushed yourself to do more than just enough to get by? Have you really tried to see just how much you can do? Improve your skills? Become stronger? Stand out from the crowd?

The famous author Kurt Vonnegut once said,

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the

edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

So I challenge you to get close to the edge but not too close and push yourself to become a better you, a stronger you, a happier you. You wont know what you can do until you try. Ill be watching you, too, from the edge.

======================