Jr. Asst. SM - what is typically involved in this position?

One of my favorite scouts just had his 16th birthday and wants to be a Jr. Asst SM rather than take on a 3rd (non-consecutive) term as SPL. But we are all a little unsure of what this position actually IS.

the scout in question has had a number of leadership positions and training, been a den chief, had den chief and JLT training. he is done with his Eagle all except the final touches on his Eagle project and it's BOR. A great kid who wants to be a camp counselor next summer.

Would we find a description in any of the accessable (meaning someone already has it or it's free) BSA literature? is there anything online or does anyone have a more complete job description?

Or, if you have Jr ASM's in your troop - what are their duties?

all we have so far is :

Serves as an Assistant SM & carry out duties as assigned by the SM.

Sorry Laura but I've never worked with a troop that has used a Jr ASM.

Here's an idea. We have a tweener (over 18, not 21) ASM who is in charge of conducting/organizing high adventure activities. He's planing a special campout for the older boys in the troop.

Laura;

A JASM basically performs ASM duties, although he cannot serve as the second adult leader on an outing because of his age.

I've checked all the references I have, including my SM Handbook, the SPL Handbook, the old Junior Leader Handbook, and the Scoutmaster's Junior Leader Training Kit. Frankly, there isn't much more in there than what you already found. If it's any consolation, the SM Handbook doesn't go into much detail on ASM duties, either -- just a paragraph that basically says to hang an ASM on the New Scout Patrol, and one on the Venture Patrol, if you have one. And, that ASMs should have specific program duties. Beyond that, it's up to the Scoutmaster.

My guess is that in troops that have JASMs appointed, you'll have difficulty finding two that use them identically. My current Troop had one, but he moved to a Venture Crew...

KS

LauraT7,

Our troop has a JASM, currently his duties are to plan and lead the troops JLT. He is also charged with assisting the Advancement Chairman with keeping our Troopmaster database updated. In addition, I call on him to mentor the SPL where needed and patrols where needed in menu planning, troop elections, etc. He is also used as a role model for the younger scouts, being required to have the proper uniform, attitude basically Scout Spirit. He does not have a regular meeting type duty however.

SM406

We treat JASMs as something between SPL Emeritus and Assistant Scoutmasters when we have them. We don't always fill the position, but when we do, that person (or people) is responsible for all Troop level boy traing. They do Troop JLT, Den Chief training, and they are responsible for following up to make sure boys who have been given presentation assignments are on schedule, and assist them if they need help.

I don't think we do this intentionally, but all of our past JASMs have been 17 years old. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

Mark

CubsRgr8,

Our present JASM happens to be an Eagle, I am not sure that is a requirement though. They do have to be 16 or older. It would make sense for them to be Eagle. This is an opportunity for Eagles to demonstrate leadership to earn the Eagle palms and not deprive Life and Star scouts of other POR so they can advance.

SM406

From the Scoutmaster Handbook: "A Scout at least 16 years of age who has shown outstanding leadership skills may be appointed by the senior patrol leader, with the advice and consent of the Scoutmaster, to serve as a junior assistant Scoutmaster. These young men ... follow the guidance of the Scoutmaster in providing support and supervision to other boy leaders in the troop."

CubsRgr8, a JASM does not necessarily have to be an Eagle Scout. He does have to be at least 16 but not yet 18. In my son's troop it appears that the JASM is typically a Life Scout (who, like most of the other Eagles, finishes the Eagle requirements at the "last minute," turns 18, and either vanishes off to college or becomes an "ASM," the "ASM" being in quotation marks for a good reason, but that would be another thread.)

Just want to add, as someone else said, the role of JASM's differs from troop to troop. He could work with boys on completing Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st class requirements just as the ASM's do. He could provide instruction in Scouting skills. He could work with the Troop Guide, not to do his job, but just to make sure everything is going smoothly with the new scoup patrol, and give advice. Or any of a number of other things. Or sometimes he could just follow around the SM or ASM's and watch what they do and learn how to do it.

I would also say (as I think someone else also suggested) to remember that no matter how "adult-like" a JASM's role may become, he is still a youth for purposes of Youth Protection and other rules.

I have used the JASM position for several years and have had as many as 5 JASMS at one time. Their job responsibilities depended on their inidividual strengths and interests. We have used them for training, special events planning, fundraising activities, new scout orientation, just to name a few. It is a great tool for keeping older scouts active and advancing.

Bob White

In my research, i haven't found much more than what is stated here - except one interesting thing in an old 1996 (?) newletter online -

something about JASM qualifying as a POR for LIFE scouts - this would make sense, especially if the boy was working on his Eagle and had already had a number of PORS in the troop - and especially if he had been SPL one or more times. Gives him a leadership role, and opens the SPL and other top positions to boys who have not had those chances yet -

Another thing from those old lessons i inferred - that using or appointing a JASM is kind of going out of use - because of the YP guidelines. As someone pointed out - he's still a "Tweener" - He can take on as many of the ASM responsibilities as he is capable, except THE MAJOR one - because he is not over 18, he can't be counted as an 'Adult' for YP guidelines, in fact, still has to BE "protected" under YP.

This means he can't meet with another adult ASM or committee member without multiple adults present or another youth present. It also means that another adult ( or two) have to be present when he is working with the youth. In some ways - it kind of defeats the purpose of the position - or at least, takes something out of it.

Sorry LauraT7 but the idea of a tweener is not a concept of scouting or one that serves you or the scout to the fullest. JASM is a youth leadership role just as any other non-elected youth office. The scout is selected by the SPL just as the QM, scribe or any other non-elected office (but with the guidance and approval of the SM).

Just as with those other youth positions his role will vary from troop to troop. Your ability to train, guide and develop his character and abilities is no different than it is with any other youth position. To say that the policies of the YP defeats the purpose of the position is totally unsupported by facts. The JASM is a great tool when used as designed by the program for the purpose it is designed for, to maintain the activity and interest of the older boys who have already served in other troop leadership positions or as the need arises to fulfill advancement requirements based on a scouts individual needs and characteristics.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)