It never ceases to amaze me what this program provides our boys.

After the monthly PLC on Tuesday, one of the boys was assigned to sending an e mail and following it up phone calls to advise everyone in the Troop that Troop elections were scheduled for the last meeting in Sept. At the bottom of his e mail, he added a blurb about thanking a Democrat if we saw one for a whole litany of things that this boy found wonderful about Democrats.

One of the other boys responded with all of the things that are bad about Demograts, and all of the great things about Republicans. It went back and forth a few times. It was very entertaining, and us adults were very impressed with both the breadth and depth of the knowledge of topics being kicked back and forth.

Last night, a couple key members of the PLC were shopping for an event this week, and they were entertaining themselves talking about the verbal volleyball going on. All of a sudden, it seemed like the lightbulb went on in their heads at the same time: "Let's have a debate!"

We talked about it for a while last night, and they pretty much decided on the spot that they were going to use one Troop meeting night, just before November elections, to debate the good and bad points of the Ds, the Rs, and the value of the two party system. They want to bring in a debate teacher from the local college to mderate and or judge, and they have talked about having some representatives from each of the parties invited, too. We have a bit of a tie to our U.S. Representative, and they are hoping they might get him.

This is a huge generalization, but it seems so obvious that much of the youth in society is very one dimensional, and not very interested in topics like politics. I am convinced that Scouting provides so many opportunities for teenage boys to take an interest in things beyond Nintendo and sports, and this is one example. I've since found out that this debate, that I just now was exposed to, actually started in July during a trip to Washington D.C. I guess it started in a motel shuttle van, with two elderly ladies in with some of our Scouts. They pulled the SM aside after everyone piled out of the van and told him that they learned more in a 15 minute van ride than they figured they would learn in a four day trip to D.C. They were hugely impressed, as I understand.

We have a couple of very passionate Democrats in our midst, and at least one arch conservative. If this comes off like I think it will, it's going to be VERY interesting, VERY informative, and VERY valuable.

Thank you Scouting!

Mark

After thinking about it, I worry all I've done here is create open season for each side of the "aisle" in our little campfire to take pot shots at each other. I hope we can refrain from that. This was not intended to move the debate over which party is better to this forum. I'd love to leave it in our kid's hands.

Mark

It IS AN EXCELLENT idea! Unfortunately, from what I've seen in my troop and others, this idea would not be universally accepted everywhere. Too controversial. This is one of the things that I was trying to allude in my thread "What is your program about?" I'm convinced that the parents (i.e., the troop committee) in my troop (sorry Bob, I'm not changing) would never agree to a political debate. They would do everything in their power to discourage it. They're too afraid to see what might spring out of it. I see it as a great learning opportunity for Scouts to explore citizenship and morality. Many others would see it as a catalyst for controversy and shoot it down without a second thought. It's a shame.

It wouldn't have to be a political debate. Scouts could debate actual ideas which have opposing views. We do something like this to draw them into citizenship discussions. We start with, say, the school dress code. Lots of opinions on that. But to really debate it, both sides have to establish their basic ideas and understand why the concept of dress codes exists. Then let the fun begin. After that topic, they're ready for other stuff in the community like zoning, etc. I think it is a great idea.

Rooster,

Although I suspect you're right about parents not being too keen on th idea, (and everyone please try to take this the right way) we don't care. It's a great idea, the boys had it, and I think there is a whole heck of a lot of reason to do it to support the Aims. If they decided they want to do it, it's valuable, and it's done within some framework so that it remains civil, it's going to happen. Parents can decide to keep their kids home that night if they want them to miss a great educational event. We don't much care.

I was the one who suggested to them that they include a debate teacher. I'm even hoping that we can contact one to teach them real debate format and technique (it's been a long time since high school debate class for me!). We will certainly insist this is done properly: Define the one or two central issues to be discussed, limit presentations in time and in scope to facts only and their effects, provide time for a rebuttal of the facts, and that is it.

My vision, although I won't have the final say, is that the guys take up saides on the issues and work as a team to research. Those who really don't have any idea will likely side with their friends, or remain neutral, and could be used to gage effectiveness at the end.

I haven't been this excited about something our boys want to do in three years!

I have also promised to do some research to see what requirments for Merit Badges the participants could cover. I certainly believe at least one or two for communications would be appropriate.

Mark

"It's a great idea, the boys had it, and I think there is a whole heck of a lot of reason to do it to support the Aims. If they decided they want to do it, it's valuable, and it's done within some framework so that it remains civil, it's going to happen. Parents can decide to keep their kids home that night if they want them to miss a great educational event. We don't much care."

THAT'S what I like to hear - I don't care if it's a politcal debate or a campout - IT'S WHAT THE BOYS WANT. It's THEIR program - plain and simple. Give 'em some structure and direction and watch them FLY!

now why can't more Scouters understand that?

Laura