Here's one for the group (I'm especially interestd in the Scouts views). Our Toop has been asked to participate in a Girl Scout Spring encampment where Brownies and Juniors will be taught camping skills. We have been specifically asked if we would cook lunch for the camp the Saturday of the event. This would free up the GS Troop to concentrate 100% on providing the training to the newer Girl Scouts.

I told she who must be obayed the GS Troop leader that I would present this to the PLC that it was up to them the boys to decide.

Question, since most of these boys will be working on 1st class by May 04 if they do this could it be counted as a service project? Also what do you fine folks think of such an idea?

Wonderful Idea, although if the focus of the camp is learning camping skills, why not bump it up a notch and set it up so the boys show the girls how to cook, and have them both make lunch together?

Boys cooking for girls, what a concept!

Since the Girl Scouts arent related to the BSA, I think it would be a fine service project.

Not only that, but if the Scouts structure things properly, I would consider giving them credit for the appropriate rank advancements for cooking.

Good luck. We've tried a couple of times to do cooperative campouts with Girl Scout Troops, and can't seem to make it happen. Everyone talks like they want to try, but when it comes to planning, our guys keep coming back complaining that the girls don't want to do anything they find fun. We've offered to climb and rapel, kayak, or backpack, and all they want to do is sit around the campsite (this is the report we get back from the planning committee who meet with the girls).

We very much would like to try to do something like this. If you are part of a GS Troop of girls 13 - 17, and are from northeastern Ohio, please let me know.

Mark

SMT376, you say:

Question, since most of these boys will be working on 1st class by May 04 if they do this could it be counted as a service project?

I will leave the actual answer to that to others, but I just want to make sure we are all understanding each other and that the rank requirements have not changed in the last few weeks. Do you mean that the boys will have EARNED First Class and will be "working on" Star? There is a service requirement for Star (and for Second Class, Life and of course Eagle), but none for First Class. Right?

Right Cub I was incorrect that a service project was required for 1st class (thought four hour project was for first class). Actually if the boys are doing there work they probably will have First class as the Troop was formed March 03. First class in a year you know.

Most will have Second class by Fall Camporee in November. Anyway I think it would be fun and a good way to meld the two programs together. I think the GS were wanting to plan the menu as they expect about 100 girls. They just wanted us to cook it so they would be free to trian. The girls in the GS Troop are Seniors and Cadets 14-18.

For any joint activity to work and be worthwhile, it needs to meet the goals and needs of all the groups involved. I can see the needs of Brownies and Juniors being met by learning outdoor skills. I can see the Cadette and Senior needs being met through leadership experience in planning the program and providing instruction. I guess you'll need to determine (the PLC rather) whether the program meets *their* goals and needs, and if it doesn't, see if there is some way to offer input toward making the joint venture more profitable to both (although I do have to kinda laugh at the turnabout- Girl Scouts are often asked to provide snacks/meals/etc for Boy Scout projects...I think these girls have a sense of humor :):) )

I'm frustrated that I'm not reacting more positively to this - I am one of those who would really really love to see more cooperation between our organizations. On the other hand, if your troop wants to do this simply out of doing a good turn, that's awesomely cool of them.

As far as why other potential joint activities are not coming to fruition, I think we got a real typical Mars/Venus butting of heads going on - in order to make the activity a success, the boys are offering up more and bigger and more exciting and adventuresome ideas in the hopes of getting some interest drummed up, and probably the harder y'all try to come up with the really cool totally exciting can't miss idea, the less interest they show! Heck, they don't know y'all - girls are used to getting heckled by guys when they try the new stuff (this is gradually changing I hear but not real fast). Do a "First Contact" low-key activity - a cookout and a hike - show em you're "fine young men" who don't heckle/harass/point at their boobies/make farting noises with armpits - then you'll probably find they're much more interested in the canoeing/rock-climbing/spelunking :)

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls