BSA Centennial History Book

I ordered and recently received the BSA's Centennial History book (http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=NEW&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=34556&prodid=34556^8^01RTL&)

The item costs $300. I'm not sure its worth that. Its a large book, about 2 inchs deep, with a slipcase and DVD. The cost is probably do the the large amount of reproduction items included in the book (either affixed in certain places, or in special sleeves). The items are reproductions of sheets and certificates, whereas some are larger, more brochure size items.

I haven't had the chance to check out the DVD. My comments are based on a preliminary read-thru of the book.

Overall, while the book is pretty nice, I don't think it holds a candle to the depth of the BSA's first official history book by Murray (but even that work had some flaws). Certainly I found a few flaws in this one. Some areas aren't given much depth, and I found a few errors.

These are some of the issues I saw:

* the story of Boyce being lost in the fog of London is repeated (twice). The problem is that we now know there was no fog when he was there. But atleast the author didn't claim he met B-P as the Scout Association office, and gave better info on when these events occured.

* the author claimed that Seton was the first and only Chief Scout of the BSA. Sorry, incorrect. Both James West and his successor were given that title after they retired as CSE.

* Some of the smaller programs of the BSA were given only a cursory look. Rovers are mentioned briefly. Air Scouts, even less. Varsity Scouts are mentioned, but the work that went into establishing them was not delved into. I found that disappointing, considering some of the pictures of Varsity Scouts was from their experiemental phase when they wore special polo shirts and not BSA uniforms. Sea Scouts were mentioned, but the author makes it seem like Arthur Carey established Sea Scouts and ignored the most signifcate contributions of James Wilder and especially Thomas Keane who set down the Sea Scout program as we know it today.

* I saw several errors with the notations about pictures and other items.

* there is no index

* the bibliography is disappointing. While I was pleased that the author did consult non-BSA works, I was diappointed by the absense of several books. He didn't check out the recent bios of West and Boyce. He only consulted Boys Life and Scouting magazines since the 1980s on (I would have reviewed, if cursory, all of them where I the author).

When I get the chance to review the DVD, will add comments about that.

I wonder how much thought actually went into the work, i.e how much time the writer actually had to put this work together? if the lack of info is prevelent, the writer may not have had enough time to do the research. I know when I did work on a 100 year old company, it took me over a year just to get info inventoried.

I know doing research can be expensive, but $300 for the book does seem a bit high. I also wanted ti for Christmas, and then I saw the price. I can't ask for that from my family, especially in these tough times.

In reference to Varsity Scouts, do the pics show tan shorts and I believe a tan polo? In the early to mid 1990s national came out with an 'activity uniform" consisting of tan shorts, a red polo for Scouts, a maroon polo for Venture Crews (I know what you are thinking, but trust me. I am going to post on this one in the Venturing Section tonite), and the tan polo for varsity. The idea was that this would be a uniform to wear in the field doing activities where the ODL uniform was not practical.

(This message has been edited by eagle92)

"In reference to Varsity Scouts, do the pics show tan shorts and I believe a tan polo? In the early to mid 1990s national came out with an 'activity uniform" consisting of tan shorts, a red polo for Scouts, a maroon polo for Venture Crews (I know what you are thinking, but trust me. I am going to post on this one in the Venturing Section tonite), and the tan polo for varsity. The idea was that this would be a uniform to wear in the field doing activities where the ODL uniform was not practical."

Those aren't the uniforms I was refering to.

Before Varsity Scouts was rolled out officially in 1985, it went thru a 4-5 year experimental phase. During that time, the Varsity Scouts did NOT wear the BSA tan uniform at all, but had special polo shirts. These shirts were different from the mid-90s activity polos you mention. These experimental phase uniforms are documented on my Senior Scouting history website, and you can also see them pictures in the VS manuals that came out during the experimental phase.

I too receieved my copy of the Centennial History and was rather suprised that they did go into some of the issues that have previously been deemed as "controvercial."

One that comes to mind is the "fog story" with a contemporary explaination...industrial smog. Now, I find that a rather interesting take on it. As for there not being fog in the area, emb21, the ORIGINAL version that Boyce gave in 1910 was that the "event" happened in December and, strangely enough, there was, in fact, 1 day in December 1909 that was naturally foggy in his area per the official London weather reports, (I have copies of them). The timing is such that it would have have been the day before he left for the States. Therefore, the fog story CANNOT be summarily dismissed as pure fiction...as tempting as it may seem to do so. AHowever, as Boyce retold it time after time, the month of the incident changed and became July and/or August depending on the audience. (Scoutldr, I go into more of this in my forthcoming "tome"...called "The Scouting Party.")

I was also pleased to read the author's recognition of Theodore Roosevelt's contribution to the program. As I write in my just released book, "We Are Americans, We Are Scouts," his endorsement greatly improved the ability of the BSA to survive in the early years. A book review by Scouting News gives more information on this book.

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2008/12/02/we-are-americans-we-are-scouts/

In summary, if you can afford the price tag, the Centennial History is a very useful and well written book that really summarizes the first 100 years of the BSA in a highly readable fashion. It is quite clear that the author had a crack research team behind him as well as a slew of designers. The BSA should be very proud of this offering because it clearly sets the bar for which all future unfettered histories of the BSA will be compared.

David C. Scott

"was rather suprised that they did go into some of the issues that have previously been deemed as "controvercial." "

And what controversial issues where those?

I did like the fact they had some mention of the ABS/USBS group, including some pics of them. These where 2 pics I had never seen before.

Its my understanding that Boyce was in London on his way to Africa for a trip when the boy scout helped him, and that on his return to London on his way back to the US, made further inquiries about scouting. Its my understanding also that other scouting historians have looked into it and found that during the time he was in London, there was no fog. I'd have to check the Boyce bio if they have more solid info on this. I also look forward to the several scouting books promised by your company as well, as I've been reading your articles in the ASTA Journal.

While very slickly designed, I would have liked to have seen something more in depth along the lines of the Murray history (tho even that one has its issues IMO).