Death of an old-time professional, Spurge Gaskin

I just learned of the death in late July of Spurgeon Gaskin, a retired professional, who started his career in 1936. He worked in Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and was the Regional Director for Region Six and later the Southeast Region. Spurge retired in 1975. In retirement, he remained an active volunteer, receiving the Silver Beaver, Distinguished Eagle, Silver Antelope and the Baden-Powell Fellow of World Scouting award.

I knew him during my days in professional scouting and he and my late uncle had worked together on camp staffs in Mississippi in the 1920's. I had tracked him down and was trying to contact him in June and July. I wasn't able to reach him due to his final illness.

Just thought I would post this in case any other forum members had known Spurgeon.

Neither did I know Mr. Gaskin, but this last week at AP Hill I was honored to meet several 80+ year old Scouters who were still very actively contributing to Scouting. Their clear dedication to the movement has reinspired many of us.