Outdoor code, any history

Does anyone have any history on the Outdoor Code, is it a Scouting invention, or is it an adoption of an external practice, like leave no trace? I don't seem to find much info on its creation when searching....thanks all...

• 3 months later...

I had to cover this for a Woodbadge project, and found the following website helpful. Below the URL is a passage from the website on the Outdoor Code. Whoever put together this website has done a tremendous amount of work, and it's worth it!

At any rate, the Outdoor code did not show up until the 1950s, in later printings of the 5th edition of the Boy Scout Handbook (actually entitled "Handbook for Boys"), which was used from 1948 to 1959.

http://www.troop97.net/bshb1.htm

In addition to other information on conservation, it is the first book to contain a "Conservation Pledge" ("I give my pledge as an American to save and faithfully to defend from waste the natural resources of my Country its soil and minerals, its forests, water and wildlife." ). Later printings expand this pledge and reword it as our present "Outdoor Code" ("As an American, I will do my best to be clean in my outdoor manners, be careful with fire, be considerate in the outdoors, and be conservation-minded.").

[it is ironic that the printing where the Conservation Pledge first appears contains an advertisement advocating species extermination. The ad (for Peters ammunition) is entitled "How Doc Peters helped Jimmie track down a menace." After shooting a bobcat, Jimmie says to Doc, "That's one less bobcat to plunder the woods." And Doc answers, "Yes, son, you've helped conservation of wild life."]