Troop Guide Training

Eagledad says:

I understand, but come on. Someone in need has asked for help to fix a car and all the adults can say is your driving the wrong model.

I was just following the tradition in this forum. :)

In other words, I think you're probably right. It is something that maybe we need to be more sensitive to when it is a Scout asking a question rather than an adult.

Using the car analogy, a better point is that Spork's troop is trying to drive a car with a manual transmission as if it had an automatic transmission. Can you do it? I suppose so, but it puts a lot more wear and tear on the transmission. Can you operate a Troop with more than one Guide? I suppose so, but it too puts strain on a structure not designed for it.

Ditto to all BW said about the Troop Guide. Without knowing Spork's troop or their culture, it appears by electrons that what they really have is one Troop Guide, and a lot of Instructors who wear Troop Guide patches on their sleeves. What they might consider is designating just the Guide to the NSP as the Guide, and the others as instructors. That's perfectly permissible, clarifies the role of the Guide, doesn't diminish the Green Bars' positions, and renders moot the question "What do we do with all these Guides?".

Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

KS