Is a ship a crew?

emb021

Thank you.

I'm sure if Dr. Foreshaw, my old maths master was around, he'd want to thank you as well.

I have spent 30 years wondering why the heck we spent so much time on what was then in the UK called New Math, which included Venn.

Now I know!!

As I have posted in the past, I'm not a great fan of Venturing (As it is here in the BSA).

So to my way of thinking if Sea Scouts is a small circle totally within a larger circle for Venturing?

Venturing is the shell and we are the nuts.

I don't mind being a nut!!

But what do people do with the shells?

Eamonn.

(Posted in fun!!)

"A Sea Scout is a specialized form of a crew (but a crew is not a form of a ship) so some members of the ship could choose to follow a Sea Scout track while others followed a Venturing track. Or they could all follow both, for instance during boating season follow Sea Scouting and in the off-season do VenturING activities in the other VenturING Program areas. "

Back in the 30s and 40s, things were more flexible (or fluid).

Boy Scout troops were allowed to have Sea Scout Crews within them or Explorer Scout Patrols. Thus these boys could pursue these programs (even wearing the unique uniform and earning the advancement) while still being members of their Troop.

Even amoung Senior Scout units, this flexiblity/fluidity was allowed. I read in an old National Sea Scout Log of a Sea Scout Ship which had an Air Scout Patrol within it. Then you had the Senior Scout Outfit (a separate unit from Ships, Posts or Squadrons) in which boys could do ALL the Senior programs. Outfits could either have Crews focused on a particular program (ie, one Crew is Sea Scouts, another Air Scouts) OR the entire Outfit could change program with the season (Air Scouts during the winter, Explorer Scout during the Spring, Sea Scouts during the winter, etc).

Advancement was also more flexible, such that boys in any senior program could persue any advancement path, even to earning Eagle Scout without having been in a scout troop (or even earning tenderfoot, 2nd Class, first class). The idea of a boy earning Eagle Scout AND Quartermaster AND Ranger AND Ace, while rare, was possible.

Sadly, after 1949, they got more rigid with the Senior programs, and put an end to a lot of that flexibility.

That's true. The troop where I served as Scoutmaster had (many years prior) an Air Scout unit that was actually a Senior Scout Patrol. A few of the scouts went directly from that unit into the Air Force. One them is still involved in Scouting here and is a retired USAF officer.