Venturing Crew Sucess Stories

I decided to bring this up because I recently turned over the reins as advisor of a crew after five very sucessful years building a solid program and watching phenomenal growth in membership, starting with 10 and currently 50 active members for the past three years. Our next recruitment bash this month we have 20 more potential members. This is a coed crew with excellent teen officers our activities follow the memberships top interests each year, including some outdoor skills and treks.

Basically we follow the Venturing Leaders Manual and it seems to work. I love the program and it seems to be thriving in our council, we are the largest crew (Brag) so are we an exception or are there other crews out there with similiar successes? We do not run our crew like a troop which is not according to Venturing guidelines. I know Eamonn's feelings about the program, but I have to believe there are other successful crews out there and I would love to hear your stories. I am now the CC/COR for the crew, but I already miss the teens, and to paraphrase John-in-KY, " I love this Venturing stuff." In your stories let me know what you think is the real secret to your crews success.

A side note, did you notice all the American Venturers at the 21st World Jamboree, male and female, I thought that was fantastic considering how many other countries scouting programs are coed. I can hear a few of you groaning out there already, lol.

(This message has been edited by RangerT)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife started a Crew 14 mo. ago when her Girl Scouts wanted more. She is charted to a great organization that is very supportive. She started with six girls and two boys, three adults. She is now at 18 girls, 15 boys, and 13 adults.

We are all having a blast! The young adults are great, take the planning and their leadership seriously. They are having at least one activity a month (some months two or three). They have their year planned out until February 2008.

There are some dual-registered young men, and in most cases this program has re-energized them on Scouting. One in particular wasn't going to go to Eagle and was thinking of dropping out altogether. He is now waiting for his Eagle BoR.

Parents are VERY supportive, and most either come along on the trips, or at least help out in some way.

Venturing is not very active in our Council, and this group is one of the success stories. It supplements Boy Scouting for those in both programs, does not steal them away if it is done right.

All in all, done right, it is a great program. As long as the adults let the young men and women run their program. Let them decide the activities, and they'll plan it.

We have been operational for 9 years. Because we are a specialty crew (Civil War Reenacting) our numbers are small, our structure is not BSA, but we adhere strictly to the guidelines of the hobby. They run the crew as an adult organization in the hobby.

We draw people at the present time from 3 councils and 2 states.

One of the reasons for our success is our level of reenacting. We function at a level which is beyond the average CW reenacting group. This year we decided to specialize in CW color guard and skirmish by the bugle along with our regular drill in 2 manual of arms and bayonet drill for fun.

With adults we can put on the field a normal sized CW company of fully functional soldiers with NCO officer command structure.

Stosh