Venturing question

What is this prep?

I don't want to speak for jblake, but I believe what he means by "prep" is "fun program activities designed to give kids the skills and opportunities to meet the requirements for that particular award program." Not to mention the youth and adult volunteer time to administer the award program.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Beavah has it correct. Prep: meaning the prepatory work necessary to have a quality program to accommodate the activity.

The boys in my crew are 100% dedicated to the interest area and nothing else. They are not interested in being Eagles or Rangers. They just want an opportunity to do their "thing".

I as an advisor I feel it is important that I make every effort to insure each registered scout work on his Eagle. I don't want them to give up that responsibility simply to join my crew were an emphasis on Eagling is not present. I do not have the boys to support that activity in the crew and the sole responsibilty of that task would fall exclusively on me. For that reason I insist they remain active in their troops to insure that which I can't do for them in the crew.

I don't have the time to "prep" my boys in my troop AND take the secondary time to "prep" every boy from each different troop to Eagle as well. Scout troops have the connections, the resources, the contacts, etc. to make it happen. Venturing crews do not. Personally I believe it would be a grave disservice to the boy to have him join my crew and abandon his trail to Eagle. At least he makes a commitment to pursue both at the same time with the help of both his troop and myself.

Stosh