I have just found out that our Boatswain's Mate has been accepted for SEAL Training.

I'm sure she is going to have a fantastic time.

If all goes to plan the course will be held on

the Sea Scout Training Vessel (SSTV) "der PeLiKan", a 46 ft. Morgan Ketch .

At present she is dating our Boatswain. He said he had to much to do this summer and didn't apply.

I kinda think she is going to rub his nose in it!!

Hey Barry - "I love this Scouting stuff"!!

Eamonn.

OK, I can understand the knowledge and skill requirements. Same concept as Brownsea/NYLT, you have to have a baseline to go forward.

WHY THE EXCLUSIVENESS OF SELECTION? is my question. If a Sea Scout meets the baseline and has the $$$, why play "selection games?"

If the baseline knowledge and skill requirements need to go up, then do so.

• Upvote 1

"WHY THE EXCLUSIVENESS OF SELECTION?"

I'm sure Sea Scouter's who are more experienced and have more time in than I have might be able to shed more light on this.

But I think space, time and skilled adult leadership have a lot to do with it.

Eamonn.

""WHY THE EXCLUSIVENESS OF SELECTION?"

"I'm sure Sea Scouter's who are more experienced and have more time in than I have might be able to shed more light on this.

"But I think space, time and skilled adult leadership have a lot to do with it. "

It does. While I don't have first hand knowledge of SEAL, I know Sea Scouters who are course directors. Some facts.

There is limited space on each course. the normal course size is 6-7 Sea Scouts. This is because they expect the job duties to rotate amound the Scouts so that each day of the 7-day course they have a different role.

There are usually only 4-5 ships/courses per year. PLUS, you can't have youth from the same ship on the same course. You need to learn to work together with the rest of the group, whom you probably don't already know.

So, there are basically about 35-40 slots TOTAL per year. Hence its very tought to get in.